586,112 active members*
3,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dolphin CAD/CAM

Just wondering if anyone has or is using Dolphin CAD/CAM.
    Thoughts?

Yeah I am using Dolphin for Turn and Mill. There is a review in the reviews section over here - http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?n...ewarticle&id=3 and as luck would have it, the pictures don't work! I will get the boss onto it right away
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Lol, you beat me to it!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dolphin seems to be pretty popular with guys in the UK, but I don't see many using it here in the States.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Well I was just searching for something I could use to make the drawing, material shape, tool path (lathe/mill) and G-code. That was some what user friendly, easy to learn and was not going to cost a lot.

I have access to AutoCAD 2002 and can get around in it fairly well.

any suggestions?

Bill

Hi Bill !
    I am an old gibbscam user. I paid for dolphin cam and it looked good to me. they actually helped me with a design for a flywheel. HOWEVER I was never able to use it because I could not get my screen to display images properly. I drew a circled and it was an oval. I drew a square and it displayed a rectangle. When I calle d and asked for help they advised me to change my screen settings. Maybe it is me, but I could not get it to work, AND in the procerr of doing this it disrupted my normal layout of scree icons even when I reverted to the original settings.
    newmember

I got Dolphin and have yet figured out how to use it.
    I use Turbo-Cad to draw up parts I need to make, but have yet to be able to draw on Dolphin or import to dolphin for conversion. Dolphin has been little help.
    Not saying it isn't a good system but for me it has been a waste of money.
    Mentally confused and prone to wandering!!

Hello Krutch,

Please send me a DXF you wish to import and I will do my best to remedy this situation.

[email protected]

ATB
    Andre

Dolphin works great for 2d stuff. I have also used it for lathe work. You can see some of the stuff I have made with it on my website at Mandala Rose Works - Home.

Almost everything machined on the site was done with dolphin. I've recently had need for 3d stuff, so I've been using SprutCam, but I still go back to dolphin when I need a quick 2d machining job done.

Wade

Andre,
    Therein lies most of my issues. I have little knowledge of computer lingo, etc. and can't make out what type of format any of my drawings are in. Let alone how to get the different programs to talk to each other. I have no five year olds available to explain these things for me. Still don't have old phone figured out let alone this new pos.!
    A PM would be more in line to give me a help up with my Dolphin. The on-line advice was no help when I got it.
    As for drawing, I have used Turbo for so long and am used to its' system. It is not fair for me to compare Dolphin to Turbo but I have yet to make myself learn the dolphin system. I tend to think a code or registration number is lacking but can't determine if this is true.
    Thanks for your interest.

Hello Krutch,

There is nothing to say you have to use our CAD, many, many customers use the CAD they know and love.

The just save the drawing in their own CAD system as a DXF file and import this into PartMaster to perform the machining.

A DXF file is a neutral file format the all CAD systems can read or write, thus enabling you to share data between different pieces of software.

I don't know Turbo CAD but you will normally find the DXF option under File > Save As... or File > Export. Have a look at the Turbo CAD help file for more info.

When you have saved the drawing in DXF format, send me an email at [email protected] and "Attach" the DXF file, the Attach feature is normally accessed by a paper clip icon in your email client. See the email help files for more info.

I hope this makes sense.

ATB
    Andre

Thanks Andre,
    I will have to find the particular drawing, see if I can convert it to the DXF format and get back to you to see if you can figure my problem for me. Being busy at this time it may be a while until I get this done.

Re: Dolphin CAD/CAM

I don't get it. I can't define or view Z axis with Dolphin CAD. In the triaining videos they make a basic drawing and export a .dxf to the partmaster cam software. In the next video with partmaster cam they hit ISO view and window and it shows the 3d view with Z axis. I followed the video exactly and when I view in the cam my drawing is flat and cannot generate any toolpath what am I missing. I defined depths when creating the contours also. I bought the software mostly for the CAD and so far I'm regretting it.

Re: Dolphin CAD/CAM

I started out with V10. it was "ok" for most 2D/2.5D stuff but it did have some basic shortcomings in toolpath utilization. For the price, and the post processor support it was worth it. I upgraded to V12 and it is substantially better IMO. the best part for me was the addition of the PM3D that shows the tool path in 3D. It shows a "perfect" (for me) picture of the tool path and allows you to tweak any settings to get a perfect part "the first time".
    As for the CAD part of the program, It's pretty basic and once you figure out what all the "English" words mean (vice American) you can figure it out.
    I have ne experience with V13 or the 3D version.
    I would purchase again given the same circumstances.