586,072 active members*
4,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 7 123

G0704 Conversion

Ordered my 704 on 6/1 and received it 6/8/10. Purchased it based on the positive feedback here on the forum. This will be my second mill to CNC. Last one was a HF Big Red 12 speed. It has been a work horse for three years. My machine work when I converted it was "fresh" at best. This mill will get the works! Attached are photos from today after delivery. Nice mill.

1. Delivered in great shape with no damage to crate or box. Saia driver delivered it to the garage.
    2. After breaking down the crate.
    3. Contents of the tool box. I was glad to see the drill chuck with adapter.
    4. Clean up took 45 minutes using Chemtool Carb cleaner. Everything moves smooth with no issues.

More to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00015-20100608-1434.jpg   IMG00016-20100608-1729.jpg   IMG00017-20100608-1731.jpg   IMG00020-20100608-1804.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rcazwillis View Post
    Ordered my 704 on 6/1 and received it 6/8/10.
    How did you get yours so fast????
    I ordered mine on 5/19 and after seeing this post, I was on the phone with Grizzly in a matter of seconds. They told me I can still expect to receive mine towards the end of July just as the e-mail they sent me over a week ago states!!!

Well anyways, congrats on the delivery and keep us updated on your cnc conversion.
    -Dave

I was shocked too. I was told late July when I ordered it. I asked about lead time via email and they wanted to know an address. I am thinking it may depend on where you are at determines which warehouse it comes from. I am in the DFW area and the mill was shipped from Springfield, Missouri.

I think different warehouses might have different stock levels and arrival times. When I asked about the G0602 lathe they wanted to know what state I was in before they answered the backorder status question.

Ran the mill through the break in procedure. The motor got hot enough I did not want to touch it. Hopefully it will not be an issue.

While it was running, I noticed this litte threaded hole in the side of the head. Wonder what it is?

Ordered ball screws & nuts tonight from Roton. They don't quote shipping until it ships. Kind of trusting them to be fair about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00022-20100609-1920.jpg  

[QUOTE=rcazwillis;786217]
    While it was running, I noticed this litte threaded hole in the side of the head. Wonder what it is?
    QUOTE]

It's a set screw for the swivel head. If you remove the two bolts that control the tilt then it, for some reason, will be there to keep the head on the Z saddle's boss. I'd never trust it to somehow support the weight of the head and I'm not really sure what function it serves there. It has to be backed out to remoe the head from the Z saddle though.

[quote=photomankc;786254]
    QUOTE]

It's a set screw for the swivel head. If you remove the two bolts that control the tilt then it, for some reason, will be there to keep the head on the Z saddle's boss. I'd never trust it to somehow support the weight of the head and I'm not really sure what function it serves there. It has to be backed out to remoe the head from the Z saddle though.
    It's mearly a set screw, just as you stated, to keep the head from coming off the column.

Keep in mind when you tram, do not tighten this set screw all the way. Tighten it just enough that it catches the groove on the column.

~Scott

I remembered reading in Hoss's thread about the motor on the 704 being labeled as 600 w. The label on mine says 750w. This has me wondering if they put a different motor on this batch of machines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00021-20100609-1839.jpg  

The label on the motor says 600 is where he got it from, I remember thinking that was odd on mine for it to be different than the motor label

I remembered reading in Hoss's thread about the motor on the 704 being labeled as 600 w. The label on mine says 750w. This has me wondering if they put a different motor on this batch of machines.
    the mill housing says the same but what does the label on the motor itself say?
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    the mill housing says the same but what does the label on the motor itself say?
    Hoss
    It doesn't. The pic is bad, but you can see all the info. Just a part number, 90v, 5300rpm, and a serial number. Nothing about power rating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00024-20100610-1714.jpg  

If the motor is really 600W, then the machine as a whole would be around 750W. The "extra" 150W is inefficiency in the motor controller, lights/indicators/relays and other losses in the system.

Regards,
    Ray L.

It doesn't. The pic is bad, but you can see all the info. Just a part number, 90v, 5300rpm, and a serial number. Nothing about power rating.
    Measure the diameter and length of your motor if you could please.
    The front of my machine claims a "DC Motor - 750W" too but the motor label is 600.
    They may be shipping the correct motor with the mill now and I would like to know
    so I can get on the horn with grizzly and get mine.
    Thanks,
    Hoss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dc motor 750w.jpg  
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

The front of my machine claims a "DC Motor - 750W" too but the motor label is 600.
    They may be shipping the correct motor with the mill now and I would like to know
    Thanks,
    Hoss
    Hoss: The motor measures 3 3/16 diameter X 6 7/16 long. This does not include the stand off mounts on the length.

I was drawing up bearing mounts for the Y axis. My first thought was to use some angular contact bearings, but on further thought, I only need thrust bearings. MSC & others sell roller thrust bearings in a .375 ID. The stock thrust bearings on the mill are .412 id. They seem to be a decent bearing. I am thinking of using them vs buying the .375. Anyone have thoughts on this idea?

Thanks,
    Hoss
    Hi Hoss,
    Putting a larger motor on won't help if the controller is setup for a smaller motor. You need to look at the "power resistor" on the controller board. On my KBICs it is a big ceramic resistor that is on it's own little circuit board that plugs into two posts on the main board. This "power resistor" sets the maximum power the board will supply the motor.

IF you know the size of the "power resistor" (really the feedback sense resistor), you will know how large a motor you can run.

In other words, if you put a 1HP motor on the controller you'll still only get whatever the controller is putting out as governed by the power resistor.

If on the other hand, the controller board is setup with a 1HP "power resistor" i.e. setup to deliver 1HP (745W) then grizzly has chosen to "overdrive" the 600W motor -- I doubt they would do that for Warranty reasons.

It's likely Grizzly has been shipping 600W motors because they have the controller setup to deliver near 3/4HP (558W). As I recall, 3/4HP is the limit of the KBIC controller without a heat sink (at least that is what I recall from their datasheets). From the photos you posted previously, your controller boards sure look like KBICs.

Also, I don't think the SCRs/Diodes that rectify the AC into "crude" DC for these motor controllers dissipate anywhere near the 150W Delta between the front pannel and the motor. They will dissipate some power i.e. the need for a heatsink over 3/4HP but I would be surprised if they were that "inefficient" as it would represent a 25% loss of power into the controller -- mighty hot.

To me, it is most likely a "specsmanship" game they played -- I've never seen that before

-Ian

Hoss: The motor measures 3 3/16 diameter X 6 7/16 long. This does not include the stand off mounts on the length.
    Thanks for the info, might be a different brand but it's almost the same size as mine,
    mines 3.5 diameter x 6 7/16.
    Not near as big as the 1 HP's I've seen on the bf25 mills.
    c'est la vie.
    Hoss

Mine measures Ø4-3/8" x 6-13/16" long (PM25MV Mill)

Mine's not labeled though, which is weird. The only indication is the "1KW" on the name plate of the mill, but from the misspellings and odd warning labels, I don't think I can trust it's entirely accurate.

IMO Grizzly's quality control far exceeds others who are selling these style mills, or just Chinese equipment in general. The manual that came with my mill is a joke. Compare it to the grizzly manual for G0704 and it's like night and day.

~Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Starleper1 View Post
    Mine measures Ø4-3/8" x 6-13/16" long (PM25MV Mill)

Mine's not labeled though, which is weird. The only indication is the "1KW" on the name plate of the mill, but from the misspellings and odd warning labels, I don't think I can trust it's entirely accurate.

IMO Grizzly's quality control far exceeds others who are selling these style mills, or just Chinese equipment in general. The manual that came with my mill is a joke. Compare it to the grizzly manual for G0704 and it's like night and day.

~Scott
    I guess the bigger diameter equals the extra advertised 1/2 hp. The G0104's manual has color pictures.

Took the x & y axis apart and found a small hole on the front of the Y axis nut. One look at the threads revealed a huge casting flaw. Blurry pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01735.jpg   DSC01734.jpg  

So your nut has an oil/grease retention cavern? Yeesh

Page 1 of 7 123