586,100 active members*
2,609 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Weird thread, taper into parallel.

Weird thread, taper into parallel.

Our design dept is getting 'creative' again, and has asked me if it's possible to machine a thread.

The catch is, the thread is a taper thread which then runs smoothly into a parallel thread. In other words, we have a bar with a taper at the end. Then we want to put a thread on all of it, smoothly running up the taper and along the bar, all at the same pitch, same form, etc.
    No, I don't really know why they want to do that.

Now of course there are lots of ways to do it, but none of them are particularly easy....
    Any thoughts? At my disposal I've lots of 4 axis mills, a 5 axis integrex mill-turn and a few two-axis lathes.

Is this for a lathe or mill.
    If for a mill using a single tip cutter I may be able to help. Please give some specs with cutter diameter.

I'd like to see the nut they're going to use to follow that thread...

Tom

kiwi - that's the method I've in mind, running a single point form tool around the part on a milling machine.

I've no problem with making the part, or programming the machine, I'm really just looking for ideas for methods or techniques to do it as easily as possible.

This is being done on an EMC2 control but I have to think Fanuc or Mit could do the same. They are using a bunch of macro stuff but in the end it is just a bunch of G33 commands.
    http://jmkasunich.com/cgi-bin/blosxo...k/fusee-1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Andre' B View Post
    This is being done on an EMC2 control but I have to think Fanuc or Mit could do the same. They are using a bunch of macro stuff but in the end it is just a bunch of G33 commands.
    http://jmkasunich.com/cgi-bin/blosxo...k/fusee-1.html

Wow, that's some impressive stuff on there.

G32

I would program that thread in G32 which can control the taper and the flat portion seperately.

Quote Originally Posted by inflateable View Post
    ......Now of course there are lots of ways to do it, but none of them are particularly easy....
    Provided your machine can use G32 it is not particularly difficult. You simply have to code a few more lines because G32 requires you to program all the moves including the return.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.