586,414 active members*
2,954 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > T-Slots on the taig headstock housing

Question T-Slots on the taig headstock housing

These are some VERY small slots. Am I missing something here? I think I can mill the t-nut, but that's going to be a very small screw going into the spine of it.
    How do you guys utilize these? Is there a standard (or metric) nut that fits well in there? if so is there enough thread grabbing to hold?

Fill me in guys.

I think it takes a #4 nut and screw. It looks to be the same t-slot as on the front of the milling table and that is what Nick Carter used there when he made carriage stops: http://cartertools.blogspot.com/2010...g-milling.html

bob

Those t-slots use a #10 square nut. Some headstocks may have tighter t-slots as Taig was experimenting with the width in an attempt to keep the motor mounting post on the mill from slopping around too much, in that case you can file them out or use #8 screws and make your own nuts.
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

i thought it was a M5 thread

Nothing in the Taig is Metric. However #10-32 and M5 are very close to each other.

I don't want to start any trouble but I wish my Taig mill was metric. I have plenty of 10-32 Tuff nuts I have been using on my taig lathe. The smaller T-slots (like on the front of the table) I use a M3 bolt and thread a strip of brass. Imperial confuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermiculite View Post
    I don't want to start any trouble but I wish my Taig mill was metric. I have plenty of 10-32 Tuff nuts I have been using on my taig lathe. The smaller T-slots (like on the front of the table) I use a M3 bolt and thread a strip of brass. Imperial confuses me.
    No trouble at all, I think most of us that are still in "imperial" mode would agree that we should have all gone to metric a LONG time ago.

At least I would .. ;o)
    Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    we should have all gone to metric a LONG time ago.
    Dave

Dont get me started!!! Design for China manufacturing and approval from US project managers who are stuck in inch.

Draw in Metric, so much easier. Goto school for machining and its back to standard. leave school, go back to metric, buy my mill, and have to go back to standard. FML

You can use metric tee-nuts in the Taig bed slots

I think they were #6. But mostly I use 1/4" square nuts for that. On the head, I use Sherline's tee-nuts and studs; they work perfectly.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com