586,047 active members*
3,700 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Complete newbie needs help

Hello everyone.
    I just started my adventure with cnc machining and have no idea where to start.
    I loaded simple gcode and it cuts, the only thing is, it cuts the air!.
    I know it has something to do with coordinates but like i stated before i'm a complete newbie and have no idea what relative, absolute coordinate means.
    Also, what is the actual procedure from starting the machine?
    What steps should i take to set up correct coordinates?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

P.S.
    It's a Chinese machine with Syntec controller.

home the machine

did you send the machine to its home position and/or zero out the x,y,z axis.
    also what do you know about the program your trying to run.
    do you know where the program will start running--in the middle or bottom left hand side?
    wher ever it is going to start in the program you have set the axis at zero yhat includes the z axis so the machine knows where to start cutting----it is generally the "material surface."

I sent the machine to the home position.
    The program cuts the material on the front left side, just like programmed in Vectric 2d.
    How do i zero axis?
    Should I zero absolute or relative coordinate?
    X and Y axis seems to be zeroed, the problem is with z axis.

Thank you for reply, it made one step ahead for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumboorack View Post
    I sent the machine to the home position.
    The program cuts the material on the front left side, just like programmed in Vectric 2d.
    How do i zero axis?
    Should I zero absolute or relative coordinate?
    X and Y axis seems to be zeroed, the problem is with z axis.

Thank you for reply, it made one step ahead for me.
    Hello,
    Normally when powering up the machine you will want to reference each axis so the machine knows where each axis is.(this is normally the machine coordinates like in Mach3) Then you need to move the X and Y axis to the Home position(X0,Y0) that you will use for cutting your part. In the Vectric software(Cut2d,VcarvePro, etc) there is a choice of where you want this location to be and the most common are the lower left corner, and the middle of the material. Whichever point you choose in Cut2D you will want to position your X and Y axis at that position and then zero the X and Y axis. The Z axis can be set to zero at either the top of the material or the bottom of the material(top of worktable) and you should jog your Z axis to that position and zero the Z.(using a 1-2-3 block or other gauge on top of the material you can bring the tool to the surface of the block and then just key in that coordinate for the Z reading in the Z axis readout in Mach3 and hit enter[example 1" on top of material zeroed you would key in 1.00 into the readout and hit enter]) Use the MDI tab in Mach3 and key in a g0z1 into the text box and hit enter to move the Z up to 1" and then key in g0x0y0 and hit enter to move the X and Y axis to the home position. Now the machine should be ready to start the program from that point and it should return to that Home position when done. Make sure your 'safe z' setting in Cut2D is set high enough to clear any clamps etc. that may protrude above the material surface so the machine will not collide with clamps etc. during the machining.
    Regards,
    Wes

You will find the Vectric forums to be a invaluable source of information also, and there are a lot of members there willing to help others out. You might want to check it out if you haven't already:

http://www.vectric.com/forum/
    Regards,
    Wes

ljd10 You made my day!
    I think i understand basics now. My first "controlled" cut looks great.
    Thank You again.

:wee:

Thank you all. You're awesome.

programs

Glad to hear your getting it figured out.
    if you want some minor designs or programs to start cutting or practicing on go to
    my website. they are free- but minor programs. pleas read and do everything.
    says.

http://home.centurytel.net/ljd10/