586,576 active members*
3,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Brand new to EMC,need some Mesa help

Hi to all,

I am in the process of retro'ing a Cincinatti talon lathe.I had the machine up and moving with a Delta tau system,and the pmac died.Enough...

I am using a Mesa 5i20 and 7333ta for the motion part.I have a bunch of get started questions.

How do I tell this thing its a lathe?What axis is the spindle considered?

The Mesa uses a driver and pinout(hostmot 2).In what order does this stuff get loaded.Is the pin out for each application as simple as the .pin examples?Does this get complied?Whats the basic steps to get it loaded?

DT used a C type system to address i/o. A bit is defined ,ie, x:$000d4,then an M variable is pointed at it,M835,the an a macro name is pointed at that, CR_ESTOP,so when you wanted to address or read that bit you used the name.You made a header file and used those address's to write your logic.
    #define CR_Estop M835
    m835 ->$ x:000d4

How are the available i/o bits accessed in EMC,ive looked at several Hal files and it seems as if i/o points are just made on the fly.Am I making this harder then it is?How does it work?Can I define an input 4 bits wide,say for a BCD turret encoder?

is there any way to avoid the ladder programming for plc stuff and use text base?Like I said,I put a considerable amount of time in on DT,Im used to something like this.

if(cs_control_reset=0 and estop_prev=1) and (cr_estop=1)//no estop
    CR_machine_elec=1 //power relay board
    cr_amp_enable =1 //power to drive
    cr_hydr_pump=1 //power hydraulics
    endif
    I would also expect the user units for each axis to be:
    (ppr x 4)x(pitch of the screw) ie (2500x4)x(25.4/8)
    2500ppr x the decode x an 8mm pitch.Several of the example files didnt use the decode.How is a single ended DAC handled by mesa and Emc?

I know some of this stuff sounds dumb,but Im new to this.Any help anyone can share would go along way.Thanks ahead of time.

JR

I'm solving the similar problem.
    My Sodick MC450 (3 axes vertical center) has broken DeltaTau PMAC2-PC.
    I'm learning HAL inteface to replace DT to Mesa 5i20.
    If' you'll do it quickly then me, let me know.

You can use the example HAL files as a starting point

The technical reference for HostMot2 is the HostMot2 manual page (man hostmot2) This has the details like hardware I/O bit names. It looks like you can make up pins on-the-fly because you can make up your own pin names but at some point in the HAL file they must be connected to the actual hardware pins

The EMC2 integrators manual and EMC2 HAL manual are also good references

You will not need to compile anything

HostMot2 GPIO is all bit I/O but you can use the weighted_sum HAL component to combine bits into an unsigned integer for your tool changer