586,115 active members*
3,391 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NCPlot free version - need help

I am learning Gcode for a possible Tormach purchase next year, a machinist friend suggested I get NCPlot free version to practice my programming.

I cannot get the NCPlot to draw any lines no matter what I program. Obviously there is some setup code that I am not familiar with.

Can somebody give me a few lines of code to get the graphics to draw some lines. If I can get some results I am sure I can back out what I need to know.

Thanks

John
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by bll230 View Post
    I am learning Gcode for a possible Tormach purchase next year, a machinist friend suggested I get NCPlot free version to practice my programming.

I cannot get the NCPlot to draw any lines no matter what I program. Obviously there is some setup code that I am not familiar with.

Can somebody give me a few lines of code to get the graphics to draw some lines. If I can get some results I am sure I can back out what I need to know.

Thanks

John
    Atlanta
    first look here and google " g-code "
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-code

sample codes for that machine can be found here
    http://www.tormach.com/machine_codes.html

and try this

G90
    G00X0.0Y0.0
    G00X2.0Y2.0
    M11
    G01X4.0Y2.0
    G01X4.0Y4.0
    G01X2.0Y4.0
    G01X2.Y2.0
    M21
    M02
    Attached Files Attached Files

You should also buy this book or something simular
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Handbook-Third-Peter-Smid/dp/0831133473"]Amazon.com: CNC Programming Handbook, Third Edition (9780831133474): Peter Smid: Books[/ame]

I have determined the issue isn't code. Scott Martinez sent me some code, I tried your code, and I found another friend who uses NCPlot free, and he sent me some code which works on his computer.

Something is wrong with my NCPlot. I have downloaded it twice with no change. For whatever reason, the free version is not working on my computer - Toshiba laptop, Windows XP Pro.

Oh well.

I will order the Smid book, later on, when and if I decide to spend the $15,000on the Tormach.

The Mach 3 simulator from the Tormach website does work on my computer, but it is more involved than I wanted for right now. I guess I will be using it anyway.

Thanks for the help.

John

after you're done make a program...... you have to save, close it out completely, then reopen the program.... it should work. I think you need to save the program and call it up to have it backplot.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRim View Post
    after you're done make a program...... you have to save, close it out completely, then reopen the program.... it should work. I think you need to save the program and call it up to have it backplot.
    You can also click draw/plot and hit F3 or (click the blue arrow button) and the zoom all button (little magnifying glass with an A in it) to see your plot this version does not auto refresh the viewport

Attached ini file.

Unzip this and in NCplot setup load this file.
    It works on my Toshiba.
    Some default colors can be the same as the background so the display becomes invisible.
    NCplot only understands Gcode.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.