586,036 active members*
3,747 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Grizzly G0704 Build

Well its about time I started posting here. I have been lurking for a while, and just got started on my conversion. :wave:

I plan to keep updating this as I go, so please dive in and comment and critique! This is my first mill, and my first conversion, so I can't know what I'm doing right?

I plan to keep this conversion as simple as possible, but I want a clean finished mill as well, so that my go out the window. I planned to use NEMA 23 motors for all axis in this conversion. This is based of some calculations I have done, and I think the NEMA 34 route is overkill.

I bought the mill earlier this year and have spent some time fooling around with it, and creating 3d models of my conversion. I just finished building my adapters and ordered all of my drive parts, so its about time for me to start contributing here.

So here are my plans. I am going to run NEMA 23 motors on all 3 axis, direct drive. I will be using Keling drivers and motors, and will be converting a HP blade server power supply to run the steppers (48v 15amp). The Blade power supply was something I read about converting on an RC group forum, and is a cheap alternative to other power supplies. You can pick them up refurbished for as low as $20.

So enough jabbering, here are the details.

3X Keling 6050 drivers (60v, 5amp)
    2X Keling NEMA 23 425oz/in steppers (x and y)
    1X Keling NEMA 23 570oz/in stepper (z)

C11 CNC4PC Break out board (hoping to use the analog spindle control)

HP Blade 48v 755W power supply.

I have spent a fair amount of time modeling up this conversion, so I will try to post pics and details as I go. I also have stp and igs models of the mill put together if anyone if looking for them. I cant say they are very accurate, but they are what I measured and plan to build to.

So please share your thoughts and comments, and I will try to keep this up to date with my progress.

Here are the pics of my machined parts and drive components.

Thanks
    -Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eric.jpg  

Im interested ill be watching

Adding a few pictures of the modeled design. Hope to get the ballscrews ordered soon. Then I need to layout a control box and mount and wire everything up.

For anyone who is interested in the power supply I am going to use, here is a link to the RC group who are using them for there battery charging stations. They use a 12v model, but I will be using a 48v model.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=100amp

The 48v part number is 303481-001. You can find them at www.trademoon.com

They currently have 26 in stock at the $28 price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails g0704.jpg   g07042.jpg   g070434.jpg  

The power supply looks like a deal.

Just wanted to update.

I finished building my control computer and testing the stepper motors. So far everything is working out perfectly. I have mounted up all the adapters and motors to the mill now, just waiting on the ball screws which should be here tomorrow. Looks like I should be up and running sometime this weekend.

Here is a quick video of the motors being bench tested with the control PC. Sounds a little rough in the video, but I have since tunned them so they are running much smoother now

I hope that link works, if not, here is the above link YouTube- MVI_2059.MOV

I also snapped a few pictures of the motors and mounts installed on the mill. My digital camera took a dump this week, so these are old low res camera pictures.

I'll post a new video and some details once it is up and running this weekend. Should be able to report on the performance of running a 570ozin NEMA 23 motor running direct drive on the Z axis.

-Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails downsize.jpg   downsize2.jpg   downsize3.jpg   downsize4.jpg  

IMG_2056.jpg  

Maybe this video link with work

Yeah, I really can't figure out how to embed a youtube video....

Works in the test forum.... but not here?

Hi Eric
    thanks for posting photos and info on your power supply , subscribed

Also, I should mention. DO NOT ORDER THE POWER SUPPLY I POSTED BELOW! I found out after I received my first one that the specs they listed on the power supply are incorrect. This was a 48v input power supply. I ended up with a 48v 750W Chassis mount power supply.

-Eric

Also, I should mention. DO NOT ORDER THE POWER SUPPLY I POSTED BELOW! I found out after I received my first one that the specs they listed on the power supply are incorrect. This was a 48v input power supply. I ended up with a 48v 750W Chassis mount power supply.
    Thanks Eric
    i just started looking around for a PS , and appreciate the help , thanks

Alright, its been a while since I have posted, got some good news... another daughter on the way, so I have been spending less time in the garage lately. So I need to play some catch up.....

The mill has the X and Y up and running. Similar to Hoss' setup, except I am running 425oz/in motors on XY and 570oz/in Z. It looks like I am having a little trouble tunning the motors, but that may be because the donor computer I used is only 600MHz.

This is also running on a 7.3A power supply, 50V. Doesn't even seem to break a sweat after I fool around with it for an hour or so. The drivers are not even warm.

I have a complete drawing package for all my parts, only needed to make 5 pieces. If anyone is interested let me know.

Here are a few pictures, and a link to the mill in action.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFcNrAFIh_8"]YouTube - G0704 CNC Conversion X and Y Axis Conntrolled Test[/nomedia]

-Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000284.JPG   P1000285.JPG   P1000287.JPG   P1000282.JPG  

Got it running!
    :cheers:
    Spent a few hours getting everything setup in the garage today. Just a few quick cutting tests. They might have been a little aggressive, but still worked out.

Here are a few clips.

-Eric

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luYvLAU_rao"]YouTube - First CNC Controlled Cut on G0704 (BF20)[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kArCxRX3t2Y"]YouTube - Second CNC Controlled Cut on G0704 (BF20)[/nomedia]

Looks good. Get some safety glasses though...

Looks good.

Is that a drill press vice?

I used one for a bit and it was OK for AL but steel was a no go and they lift up a bunch.

I also used a drill press vise when I first started... They suck at repeatability and holding a piece parallel. Upgrade your vise as soon as you can. It also sounds like you have a dull endmill.

Yeah, it is a drill press vise. Also Harbor Freight endmills. Had to get something up and running, and harbor frieght was the only place that had both available......

Looks like i need to spend some cash on tooling now....

I suggest Shars since you are just starting out, I also went through a set of the HF endmills. some were good and some were useless. Shars has some good prices on indexable endmills. some say you don't need them when starting out but if you break an insert then you just replace the insert and not the whole endmill.

I bought this set of endmills and I love them.
    shars.com - 12quot 916quot 58quot Mini Indexable End Mill Set
    They are a single flute carbide indexable endmill so you have to cut slower but the finish they leave is awesome and they have been going strong on the same inserts for 2 months now.

I also bought my vise from Shars. Some would go out and pay $300 for a vise but I have no issues with the Shars vise. It really all depends on what you are looking to do and what you want out of your mill.

I have pretty much stopped using any chinese 2-flute end mills. They never lasted very long for me. I have, on the other hand, been really happy with the 3 flute chinese end mills like these :

3 flute end mills at wholesale tool

Other places probably carry them as well

I have a set from Shars and I swear, half of them were mislabeled grinders. All they do is squeal and raise a massive burr. My better Maritool 3 flute cutters chop right through and leave no burr. Some are useable though so it's a crap shoot.

Hey Eric, quick question: So is HP part number 303481-001 the right PSU? Did you setup the pins just like in that RCGroup thread? Also, do you have your Nema 23 mount plans anywhere? I'm looking to do a setup just like yours. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nocashvalue View Post
    Alright, its been a while since I have posted, got some good news... another daughter on the way, so I have been spending less time in the garage lately. So I need to play some catch up.....

The mill has the X and Y up and running. Similar to Hoss' setup, except I am running 425oz/in motors on XY and 570oz/in Z. It looks like I am having a little trouble tunning the motors, but that may be because the donor computer I used is only 600MHz.

This is also running on a 7.3A power supply, 50V. Doesn't even seem to break a sweat after I fool around with it for an hour or so. The drivers are not even warm.

I have a complete drawing package for all my parts, only needed to make 5 pieces. If anyone is interested let me know.

Here are a few pictures, and a link to the mill in action.

YouTube - G0704 CNC Conversion X and Y Axis Conntrolled Test

-Eric
    Wondering if you made the mounts for the motors or did you order them ?

Also , what would be the difference between using gecko products vs. nema ?

Also , Where do you get the collars from to hook the motors up ? Is it part of what you get with the steppers ?

Page 1 of 2 12