586,504 active members*
3,305 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Used Machine Inspection Questions

Used Machine Inspection Questions

1. What is the normal operating temperature for a 7500 rpm spindle on a VF2 (2008 very low hours) after full warm up? (Temp taken inside spindle right after shut down, without a tool mounted)

2. How much backlash should there be on a “new and unused” VF2 on the Y and Z-axis?

Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    1. What is the normal operating temperature for a 7500 rpm spindle on a VF2 (2008 very low hours) after full warm up? (Temp taken inside spindle right after shut down, without a tool mounted)

2. How much backlash should there be on a “new and unused” VF2 on the Y and Z-axis?
    The temp really depends on if the coolant is on or not. The coolant flows thru a water jacket around the spindle and cools it. The spindle should only get slightly hot to the touch if it's been running full out for 15+ minutes. The Z will shift about .001 from a cold spindle to a hot one.
    Backlash? Don't know, but there is a spec sheet in the folder with the manual on the back of the control that should say.

Coolent was not on, and temp was around 113* after full warm up.

Too late to check the spec sheet, the machine is not local.

We checked the backlash using a mag base dial indicator between the table and spindle. The Y-axis moved about .0003" and the Z-axis moved about .0009"

The service guy checked it by bumping the table in the direction of the axis we were checking. He said what was more important that the indicator returned to "zero" rather than the measurement itself. He said "if the machine had wear it would not return to zero after you bumped it".

He also said the measurement would not be real accurate since the machine was not leveled and bolted down. Does that sound about right?

The actual test for HAAS spindles is to run at 7500rpm for 20 minutes. Temperature should not excede 125'f half way up the spindle taper. Most 7500 rpm spindles will be under 100"f. Backlash should be performed by the "push pull test" with the backlash parameters set to 0. How you perform this test is with servos on, a dial indicator on a mag base and attatched to the spindle head castingand the machine in the middle of travel (roughly). For Y axis, set the dial indicator parralel to the X axis and in the T slot. Push the table towards the back and let go. Zero the indicator. Pull the table toward you and let go. The reading on the indicator is the amount of backlash. For X axis, mount something on the table (vise is good) and perform the test above. X and Y axis should be less than .0003" and can be electronically adapted for in the backlash parameter for each axis. Z axis is rather difficault to test because of the different types of counter balance systems HAAS used through the years. Do not over compensate the parameters or you start to get step marks on 4 sides of a circle. Better not enough than too much comp.
    Jim

Sounds like a good machine to me. Haas machines are my preferred machines, I have put my own $ on the line and bought 2 so far with absolutely no regrets.
    I have run many different brands of machines and do recommend Haas over any others for anywhere near the same price. There are better, but they are way more $. Plus I have run OKK's that were way more expensive but are crappy in comparison to Haas verticals.
    I doubt you would regret the purchase.