586,500 active members*
1,890 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > New User - How do I?

Question New User - How do I?

I just got DolphinCadCam for Lathe. Therefore in the learning stage.
    I'm a hobby user using Mach3Lathe software on stand alone computer to
    run machine. I have Dolphin loaded on seperate laptop where I do all
    drawing, etc. I've did a test drawing and got everything OK thru CAD
    and CAM. My question is when I create the postprocesser (Mach3) file
    how do I save it to a file so that I can copy and transfer to the other
    computer? Can't seem to figure it out. Only way I have found thus far
    is to select the g-code shown at the bottom of the page, copy it to
    note pad and save to file. Is there a better way direct in Dolphin?

(Also posted this question on the YahooGroup.)

There is an option on just where to save the files when you do a save of the cnc file (CAM drawing). I use the Drawing directory under "My Documents\PartMaster". When you select the Execute PostProcessor, the pop-up will let you pick the PostProcessor file and put in the file name and extension of the g-code file. Select OK. It has just created a file in the Drawings folder with the file name you put in and the extension.

Just share the Drawing folder, or whatever you decide to use, and let Windows connect and copy the file like any other.

If you are totally lost, just do the post processor with a known file name and then do a file search in Windows to find where it is being put. Once you know that, you can move or share it so you can pick it up from another machine.

Hope this helps. It would be nice if you were given the option of where to create the g-code file at the time the post processor runs. Maybe in the next version.

Open up Partmaster CAM.... Go to the "View" menu. Then go to the "Preferences" menu. Then select the "Folders" tab. Where it says "Output Files (for your machine tool" you can select the location or folder where you want the .pun files to be saved. The .pun file is your g-code file. Whichever folder you choose is where all your programs will then be sent to.

Note to Dgoddard:
    If you are transfering via a floppy. You can right click on the .pun file where ever it is saved as and click on send to a drive. It should automatically copy that file to the floppy. Simply then take that to Mach 3.

Hope this helps.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

If you are totally lost, just do the post processor with a known file name and then do a file search in Windows to find where it is being put. Once you know that, you can move or share it so you can pick it up from another machine
    That's what I did.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Many ways and some have been covered here.
    The G code at the bottom of the page is a snippet of the full code.

This can be viewed in >Edit> NC Program where it will open up in notepad and can be saved from that location to where ever.

It's also handy as you can do a quick check on variables like tool, speeds and feeds in case you cocked up, not that I do

BTW welcome to both lists.

John S.

Thanks for all the replies. Has been a great help. Simple once you know how. Learning new software is always fun. Appreciate the help.

copy paste save in notepad
    in turbo cnc it'll read .txt files/.cnc ,dunno about mach tho

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin USA View Post
    Open up Partmaster CAM.... Go to the "View" menu. Then go to the "Preferences" menu. Then select the "Folders" tab. Where it says "Output Files (for your machine tool" you can select the location or folder where you want the .pun files to be saved. The .pun file is your g-code file. Whichever folder you choose is where all your programs will then be sent to.

Note to Dgoddard:
    If you are transfering via a floppy. You can right click on the .pun file where ever it is saved as and click on send to a drive. It should automatically copy that file to the floppy. Simply then take that to Mach 3.

Hope this helps.
    Hi I didn't notice the date on this thread but I'm looking for info about .pun files. Also looking for any resource on .pgo, .plo .rpo and .dx1 files. I have a bunch of these and autocad and my cnc prog can't recognize them. Some can open in notepad- there's an .rub that appears to be just a setup sheet. There's also a .tap file that looks normal.Thanks!

When you post-process, there is a box at the bottom right of the dialogue where you can change the default extension from .pun to whatever you like. .txt or .nc for instance. Once changed this will "Stick" for that post-processor.

Different posts can therefore have different extensions.

ATB
    Andre