586,655 active members*
4,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which Way to Go - TAIG CNC

Hi, first time poster and soon to be CNC milling machine owner, so please be gentle. I have been looking at various CNC milling machines / routers for a few weeks now, and have finally settled on the TAIG mini-mill. I am now trying to find the most cost-effective way of buying one that is CNC .

Initially deepgrove1 seemed the best price at $1700 for a CNC machine, but from reading this forum there seems to be some (albeit old) negativity about dealing with this company.

I can get below that price by purchasing the CNC Ready Machine from Taig, then buying the Gecko 540, PSU and Steppers separately.

While in the cost comparison stage I was looking at buying the basic mill from Taig, then fitting it with stepper Motor mounts, together with the motors etc separately. So far I can't find anywhere that sells the mounts or what sort of price to expect. Any pointers.

What size shaft do I need on the steppers (3/8 or 1/4) to fit the TAIG CNC ready machine.

Unfortunately TAIG only offer the CNC machine with the Mach 3 licence, which I don't need.

I guess the main issue I have is do I go for a deepgroove 1 machine, or maybe save a couple of hundred bucks and source the parts myself. I am quite happy doing all the wiring needed to get everything connected

ex-egll

Give Nick Carter a call.
    Garry

Quote Originally Posted by ex-egll View Post
    Hi, first time poster and soon to be CNC milling machine owner, so please be gentle. I have been looking at various CNC milling machines / routers for a few weeks now, and have finally settled on the TAIG mini-mill. I am now trying to find the most cost-effective way of buying one that is CNC .

Initially deepgrove1 seemed the best price at $1700 for a CNC machine, but from reading this forum there seems to be some (albeit old) negativity about dealing with this company.

I can get below that price by purchasing the CNC Ready Machine from Taig, then buying the Gecko 540, PSU and Steppers separately.

While in the cost comparison stage I was looking at buying the basic mill from Taig, then fitting it with stepper Motor mounts, together with the motors etc separately. So far I can't find anywhere that sells the mounts or what sort of price to expect. Any pointers.

What size shaft do I need on the steppers (3/8 or 1/4) to fit the TAIG CNC ready machine.

Unfortunately TAIG only offer the CNC machine with the Mach 3 licence, which I don't need.

I guess the main issue I have is do I go for a deepgroove 1 machine, or maybe save a couple of hundred bucks and source the parts myself. I am quite happy doing all the wiring needed to get everything connected

ex-egll

Quote Originally Posted by gmfoster View Post
    Give Nick Carter a call.
    Garry
    Yep, Nick will treat you right!

Quote Originally Posted by ex-egll;

[If you get the "CNC-ready" mill, then the motor mounts come with it.

[1/4"]

[If you don't need the Mach license, you won't be charged for it.]

ex-egll
    [It's not hard to wire up a G-540 and put it in a box. You'll get help from Geckodrive if you need it, but with their documentation you probably won't.]

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by ex-egll View Post

ex-egll

Nobody really sells a conversion kit, because its easy enough just to order the CNC ready version from taig.

I personally like this kit from Automation Technologies (formerly Keling Inc)

G540 4-Axis kit Automation Technology Inc

Though there is a less expensive version with only 3 steppers and a less powerful power supply. Add a relay for programmable spindle start and some limit switches-- You'll also need some cable to finish out the wiring, but otherwise its a very simple setup.

Thanks to all for the replies, the more I look, the more I learn (and the more I learn the more I have to look up)

Anyway, just about got it all sorted out in my mind now, hopefully I should be ordering everything shortly.

Again, many thanks for the input. More questions to follow when I get the gear

Hi,

One of these kits, contains most of what you need to put a G540 based controller together.
    G540 Stepper Controller Package (inc 3 x 269 oz.in Motors) [CC-03]

Also a sample wiring diagram EN10 for the kit is here;
    Documentation : Homann Designs!,

Cheers,

Peter
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store