586,238 active members*
3,656 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > match up Xenetech to Newing Hall

match up Xenetech to Newing Hall

I am trying to run a Newing Hall engraver by a Xenetech controller/software. There are many engravers worldwide who do this sucessfully. I even have a custom cable from Xenetech to achieve this. My problem is that many times the engraving just goes all over the place, as the NH is used primarily to engrave customers own items e.g. pens, trays, cups, bracelets etc. it is impossable use, even after a trial run on a piece of clear acitate, Murphy's law dictates that when engraving the actual item it screws up! One engineer says it could be that the amps on the NH are different than those on the Xenetech table, which causes it to engrave all over. I dont know if this explanation is logical or why other engravers have no problem using this set up.

Any help would be appreciated
    David

David,

What generation (by original controller model) is your NH? Are you using it as a 3 axis machine where your active axis are X, Y and Rotary with the regular Z being controlled by the pneumatic piston?

What is the current and voltage capacity of the Xenetech electronics? My, somewhat educated, guess is that the NH steppers probably want about 3 amps and 30 Volts. If you have much less than that available, you may be skipping steps or your motors may not be holding properly when stopped.

Xenetech to NH

NH controller is the Apex AMC w/2 rows of buttons, the steppers on the Xenetech are 2.25v, 4.6a, 200 steps, 150 oz. (actually it's a Western table compatable w/Xenetech). It's not that it just looses steps, if that would be the case then you would get distorted letters, but this is just engraving all over the place! sometimes it's ok. I am just using the NH for X/Y with steppers, Z -pneumatic.
    Thanx-David