586,395 active members*
3,025 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ordering parts for the jgro

I'm at the part in my build where i now have to order parts for my machine, I was wondering if anyone has used cncrouterparts,com to order parts and if so was it a good experience. Thanks for any feedback.

I've ordered from cncrouterparts several times. Great service.

A power supply I ordered from there arrived dead, I sent them an email, and the next day they sent out a new power supply, no questions asked, did not ask me to return the broken one or anything.

A+
    JGRO Complete - G540, 380oz Nema23s, 1/2-10 ACME, 30"x14", Craftsman router
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

Thanks for the info, i put a order in last night and it shipped this morning, now i just need to order the acme rod. Once again thanks for the info.

Not sure where you are located in Canada, but you can get ACME rod at Fastenal.
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

Dustin thanks for the info, I'm in the windsor ont area, so i do have a fastenal close buy, although i took a look at there website and the prices seem pretty high. i think i'm going to go the mc master carr route. Looks like i've ordered the same electronics as yourself. Can't wait to get this thing going. Once again thanks for the info. Were about are you from in canada?

I'm near Edmonton Alberta. You will be happy with that electronics package. It's a bit overkill for the JGRO, but this way if you decide to build a bigger machine like a joes 4x4 or something, you can use the same electronics.
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

That's pretty much what i was thinking, learn on and from the jgro and then build bigger and hopefully better. Was hoping to avoid order some thins twice.

Now that i have the G540, power supply and steppers, i have a few questions.
    1. Can i use an existing electrical cord , cut of the end and wire it into the power supply?
    2. Is there a specific type of wire i need to run from the power supply to the G540?
    Thanks for any help

1. Yep. you can just cut the female end off of an extension cord, or make your own with cord and a male end from a hardware store. Personally, I just used a spare Computer PSU cable I had kicking around.

2. Not really. I am assuming that you are running the 48v 12.5A power supply? If so, that equals 600 watts. Regular automotive wiring will work fine, just be sure that it is rated for at least 600 watts. 12 gauge will be fine.

One thing I noticed with this setup is that the steppers get very warm. It's normal for them to get hot, but you should be able to touch them. Once you are into the testing phase of your build, manually moving the steppers around, you will notice that the steppers get especially hot when you let them sit idle. When they are sitting, they are still drawing current to hold their current position. If you are going to leave them sit for any length of time while you adjust something, just hit your ESTOP switch. The red light on the gecko will go on and the steppers will no longer get current and get hot.

Another thing I noticed is that the G540 gets rather warm. I installed a couple 12 PC fans attached to a 12v ac adapter to keep it cool.
    Something like this: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...facture=Scythe
    and this http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=26...facture=Others

If you or any of your friends are "build your own computer" geeks I'm sure they will have some old fans kicking around, and any AC adapter that outputs 7-12v will work to power them.

This is how my electronics are sitting temporarily.... on my scrap 2x4 table lol. I got the estop switch from ebay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo(3).jpg  
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

Thanks

Dustin thanks for the reply , it was a great help , and pictures are always helpful. I will also take your tips into consideration thanks again.