586,080 active members*
3,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > How can I rreate a custom tool profile like a 90 degree v bit?

How can I rreate a custom tool profile like a 90 degree v bit?

Title says it all.
    I want to use all types of v carving router bits in Partmaster. Similar to Vectric Vcarve Pro.

Then be able to choose them as needed in the "Define Tool" box.

Any suggestions?

Rod

Hello Rod,
    I would think you can use the Chamfer tool type in the Define Tool setup application on the CAM side. This will let you set up the angle and the lead settings according to the V section of your tool along with the rest of the parameters. You still will need to set your cutting for varying depths as I don't believe this software will produce a genuine Vcarving toolpath so your toolpaths depths will need to be figured out related to the distance between your vectors. That is how the Vcarving works and the depth is controlled by the distance between the closed vectors. (narrower areas are shallower and wider areas are deeper). I imagine you could set up a formula of your own to estimate a vcarving toolpath but it does not sound like it will be quick and easy.
    Maybe one of the other users will provide better information for you.
    Regards,
    Wes

Wes,
    Thanks for the the explanation. I though I could simply chuck up a v bit, but now you pointed out that it won't work well because of the tool paths and different depths.

Oh well, I guess Vcarve from Vectric is the only way to go.

Rod

Hi Rod,
    You can definitely carve with the Vbit but using a goaround or pocketing toolpath usually produces a cut to a defined depth for all of the vectors. I did say it might be possible to figure out something similar to a vcarved toolpath with some experimenting. Like for text if you could draw a line through the center and then extend the corners of the letters in to the center line and cut the lines in the center deeper than those extensions to the corners it may look somewhat like a vcarved toolpath. Actually with the vcarved toolpath the bit is constantly raising and lowering during the cutting as it goes into the tight corners and the depth tapers towards the corner. It just seems like it will involve a lot of work to implement it, but I am curious myself how close one could get with some experimenting.
    Regards,
    Wes

z ramping

heres a sample of what can be done fairly simply.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Z ramping with 90 deg bit

same file but I included a 90 degree bit

If you're creating text then try using a Z axis angle with the Goround command.

I have attached a zip file that shows the basics.

A couple of things to notice, the tool diameter is set to virtually zero, this means that the width of the text will be bigger than shown by the tool dia.

To add the angle use the Z axis tab on the Goround command and set the angle and the cutdepth, changing the vector tolerance will give smoother or coarser results.

No an ideal solution but can be made to work OK.

ATB
    Andre