586,469 active members*
3,062 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAD - leaving tabs in a cutout part
Page 4 of 4 234

Re: BobCAD - leaving tabs in a cutout part

Tried it and it seems to work just fine. I took our smallest part (one that is most likely to move around on the magnet) and tried it with
    1) the way we currently do them (roughing pass and finishing pass as mentioned earlier)
    2) my very nonelegant way I mentioned earlier
    3) 3d engrave with three tabs
    4) 3d engrave with two tabs

On these particular parts the three tabs wins (but is less easy to remove than the two tabs).

I think I tried every tool path option except for engrave.

I will keep testing this way.

I still prefer stevespos way because I don't have to manually edit the parts (adding the actual toolpath and tabs), but if I (we) can't get that way to work, this way should do the trick.

Thank you again for your help.

I've been on vacation for the week and wasn't getting updates on the discussion. I am happy to troubleshoot the post processor and try to get this working.

It was intended for exactly these types of parts, and I used it on many thousands of parts (often nested) with great results.
    Sometimes it was a hundred or more parts on a single sheet of plywood and I could just run the post and all the tabs are generated automatically.

I wonder if there isn't some incompatibility with V25? I am still running V23 or possibly V24.
    One of my reasons for reluctance to upgrade is that BBC seems to break the programming interfaces with each new release.

I'm still running V19 for some jobs because I invested a huge amount of time with their (old, and very powerful) VB interface to generate complex parametric models. Then it went away!

I can try your specific part if you want to share it. I may not be able to read BBC V25 parts, but perhaps you could export in a compatible format.

Steve

Attachment 242680

Welcome back.
    Attached you'll find a regular part as well as my post processor and customsettings. I hope it uploaded all right.

I've been playing around with the 3d Engrave option and it would work (and has the benifits of being able to put tabs where ever I want), but would add alot of work reprogramming 1000+ parts and added steps to the many new parts we get every day.

Thank you so much for your help.

Page 4 of 4 234