586,104 active members*
3,377 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Newb with thread milling questions using the helix(conversational)

Newb with thread milling questions using the helix(conversational)

First off, I'm useless with gcodes currently. We got a Hurco VM2 a couple months ago and I've been training myself on it. I can't figure out how to get it to cut threads with the helix program.

My parts need a 1.25-12 thread that goes through 1.25 of material. I'm using a toolholder from our lathe with the single point laydown style insert.

Should I be using the overal diameter of what the insert would be cutting?

I'm guessing the lead should be .0833 (1/12).

I need to do 14 RH threads and 14 LH threads for a project for my rock buggy and I really need to be cutting these things tomorrow night. Any help would be appreciated.

Try this free program out. Your tool should work just like the multi-tooth models, just requires more interpolations.

http://www.secotools.com/template/start.asp?id=4934
    Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Thanks for the tip. I actually figured it out in my sleep last night (is that bad?).

Turns out that I need to enter the distance from the tip of my cutter to the major diameter (1.25). Once I got that, it accepted it and cut some beautiful threads. Sure beats spending $4-500 on a couple of taps.

Just for the record, our Hurco is using the ultimax control.

Quote Originally Posted by metalbytch
    Thanks for the tip. I actually figured it out in my sleep last night (is that bad?).

Turns out that I need to enter the distance from the tip of my cutter to the major diameter (1.25). Once I got that, it accepted it and cut some beautiful threads. Sure beats spending $4-500 on a couple of taps.

Just for the record, our Hurco is using the ultimax control.
    The Ultimax will run in G-code mode. I do programming in Mastercam when needed.

i work for hurco in the northeast doing field service. like i tell all my customers----read the manual. helical interpretation has been on the hurco control since about '83. the conversational control is very easy to run on any job except for those instances where you nedd to drive three or more axes in tru 3d machining. then just switch to g code. the hurco has built in basic g code or you can get isnc (industry standard nc) (fanuc O) and also ncpp (nc productivity package) software options. any questions, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. i live in maine, be patient, i'm on the road a lot. ron