587,442 active members*
3,051 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: WCS help

Hybrid View

WCS help

I set my x and y origins opposite to what I need. Is there a way to reverse these without redoing all the toolpaths in MC? Basically I did all the work for my part, posted gcode and the x is what I thought was the y and the gcode wants me to place my part sideways on my mill which won’t fit as its only 2 feet wide. I know I can reset the geometry but then I would have to redo all my toolpaths. Is there a way to change the geometry for the already finished toolpaths?

Hope I made sense with this explanation.

cheers

There are a couple of ways to do it, but the best is to just recreate the original drawing and reverse the axes.

You could, for instance, just use a word processor to swap all the X's for Y's, and vice versa. You'd need to use a dummy axis in the interim. Perhaps change all X's to Q's, then all Y's to X's, then all Q's to Y's.

You could also just fool the mill into thinking the two axes were reversed, but this is fraught with danger, and I'm not going to explain this method.

Tom

HUH????

Why not just rotate your drawing to the direction you need it, regenerate the toolpaths and repost the program??? Should only take a minute....

You don't have to "redo" your toolpaths... simply regenerate them ....

... of course if you set a WCS and it's going the wrong way... still simple to fix. Even if you had to set a new WCS, you only need to adjust the toolpaths to use the "new" WCS by flipping the plane select. Bottom line, you should'nt have to redo all your toolpaths...
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Psycho is on the money

If all your ops are simple, using the TOP wcs , rotate your geometry to the way you have your setup and re-gen.

If it is a complex part with different planes/views etc, being used then it is best to create a new view and then, in the bad operations, re-pick the correct T/C planes or if you really stuffed the original WCS but the T/C planes are correct, do the same, just re-pick the correct WCS and leave the T/C planes as they were, and re-gen. You shouldn't have to re-create your toolpaths