586,104 active members*
3,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gecko power supply

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying gecko drives, i currently have a 48vdc 12.5a power supply, i will be running 4 motors off this supply, the steppers are 2phase 2 amps a phase, now this gives me a total of 16a of current for the motors, so the power supply is producing 78% of current required by the motors, but i read on geckos website that no more than 67% of total current should be used on the boards,

So my question is:

How can i use this power supply, i dont know much about electronics, so i dont think i could adjust psu to output less current, dont even know if this is possible, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    DEEDEE

Gecko's have their own current limiting resistors that you'll have to select for the older Gecko's, you'll be fine with this power supply just as it is.

Where can I find a good power supply to use with Gecko servo drives? I would like to stay under the $200 mark but I don't know if it's possible.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

build one. all you nee is a power supply, fuse, rectifier, and capactior. you can find the parts on alliedelec.com (although i'm not sure about the capacitor.) there should be plenty of diagrams on how to make one. just use the search
    ---
    router finally being built!
    y axis done!
    hobbycnc controller done!
    ...mounting nsk rails and thk rail. aligning leadscrews

Quote Originally Posted by bkukowski
    build one. all you nee is a power supply, fuse, rectifier, and capactior. you can find the parts on alliedelec.com (although i'm not sure about the capacitor.) there should be plenty of diagrams on how to make one. just use the search
    Is there a thread shows how to build one? i need a 48v 18-20amp power supply

Here are two links for LARGE power supplies:
    http://transformertechnology.com/motorpowersupply.htm
    http://www.mouser.com/?Ne=601&handle...tegory&N=59703

All are under $200 for a 75VDC 6A unregulated supply! Perfect for Gecko's

Quote Originally Posted by kburn
    Where can I find a good power supply to use with Gecko servo drives? I would like to stay under the $200 mark but I don't know if it's possible.

What is the voltage and current ratings of the motors that you are planning to use?

It all depends.

My 3 steppers are 2.71 Volts at 4.6 Amps each. I used a Zicor 48 Volt 6.25 Amp supply rated at 300 watts. Works flawlessly. Guy sells them NEW on e-bay for around $35.00 $40.00 + $10.00 shipping. Zicor power supplies like this sell for about $1.50 a watt. ($450.00 Supply)

The current settings on my drives are set at 2 amps.

I have used these with the OMC and the Centent drives which were manufactured by Gecko. They work great.

Jerry

EDIT Note: I installed a large filter capacitor with bleeder on the output of the 48 Volt switching supply. Value was something like 20,000 Mfd @ 100 VDC.

Quote Originally Posted by kburn

I used ONE supply for the three steppers, NOT 3 supplies.

Jerry