586,108 active members*
3,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for cnc laser for 9mm epp foam

Hey guys I've started a small company manufactoring 9mm Epp flat planes. I've been die stamping them but would like to look into laser cutting them since die stamping doesn't allow for designs etc... I don't need a lot of power (or so I believe) but I need a bed of 24" x 36". Does anybody know what would be the most cost effective solution for me to venture into the cnc laser world.

Thanks in advance

Brad

If you are looking ONLY for cutting - chinese laser with glass tube will be fine. But test material for quality cut before purchase. You will have plenty of proposals PM to you but my advice buy from local dealer who can offer support.

Thanks, its hard to find something large but not over powerfull. It seems the larger bed the more powerfull the laser with I don't need and want to pay extra for. There are DIY projects but I don't want to get into something like that at this time. Hopefully I can find a USA dealer / distributor that has want I need for a fair price even used.

Brad

Hi Brad,

It's not a laser but it will do what you require at a realistic price.

http://www.phlatboyz.com/phlatstore/...=0&sort=normal

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    Hi Brad,

It's not a laser but it will do what you require at a realistic price.

http://www.phlatboyz.com/phlatstore/...=0&sort=normal

Tweakie.
    I have look deeply into these guys, the support looks great but I'm unsure if its for me. I don't like the idea of moving the material and added tabs to hold the parts to the foam. I also would rather see the tool bit on top so you can control depth to the bottom of the material. Epp thickness varys a lot. I'd rather have a laser since I believe it will cut faster,more accurate, and would make the edges stronger (melting).

I have been laser cutting 9mm EPP for several months now and have yet to find a good setup. By setup I mean speed, power and air. I have a home built 40 watt.
    I am looking for advice from others on what I can try.
    There are two main issues.
    1. not cutting all the way though. Cutting 95% through is easy and is a factor of speed. The last 5% is a pain. Over a wide range of speed 10 to 40 "/min I will get similar results being half of the cut will only cut 95% though.
    2. Over melting. The foam likes to hold heat and will melt more in the middle and bottom so the cut is not square to the surface.
    I have even tried cutting in two passes still not getting all the way though. The best cutting I am getting is at 12"/min but this is way to slow for what I think it should be doing.

As far as air goes, I am using low pressure as any more gets me a finer cut but seems to greatly diminish the cut speed as it is cooling the foam as it cuts.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jbailey19 View Post
    I have been laser cutting 9mm EPP for several months now and have yet to find a good setup. By setup I mean speed, power and air. I have a home built 40 watt.
    I am looking for advice from others on what I can try.
    There are two main issues.
    1. not cutting all the way though. Cutting 95% through is easy and is a factor of speed. The last 5% is a pain. Over a wide range of speed 10 to 40 "/min I will get similar results being half of the cut will only cut 95% though.
    2. Over melting. The foam likes to hold heat and will melt more in the middle and bottom so the cut is not square to the surface.
    I have even tried cutting in two passes still not getting all the way though. The best cutting I am getting is at 12"/min but this is way to slow for what I think it should be doing.

As far as air goes, I am using low pressure as any more gets me a finer cut but seems to greatly diminish the cut speed as it is cooling the foam as it cuts.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Mike

Wow thats interesting though I thought you need a little more watts? I've heard there are alot of issues with laser cutting 9mm+ Epp (flaring). I know Grayson Hobby laser cuts 9mm epp with a laser and they've sure figured out how to do it with out any noticeable issues. Water jetting this materal seems to be the ticket.

Have you played around with the focus? You should set the focus at half the thickness of the foam rather than at the surface of the foam.

Quote Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
    Water jetting this material seems to be the ticket.
    Abrasive water jet is the ticket for many materials, unfortunately they are a little expensive for the hobbyist.

What we need is a desktop water jet, made in China

Zax.