586,058 active members*
4,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

New ATC video

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X5AS4ohK4Q&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Tormach ATC at CNC Workshop[/nomedia]

Very cool...

I thought i saw an estimated price at some point but cannot locate. Does anyone have any idea of what this cool add-on would cost?

Thanks, Jason

I would hope that they could keep it to $4k for those who have the drawbar already.

$4K... That will take a lot o tool changing to pay or it (I realize for some they can justify that on their usage). I would like to see a power draw bar for the 770... Too many neat things for the 1100 not enough for the 770

It looks good for sure. The program that changes the tool seems to be moving down too quickly though. There didn't seem to be a very large gap before the head dropped after to tool was grabbed.

I would think a limit switch of some sort should be implemented to keep it from crashing the head onto the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by howecnc View Post
    I would hope that they could keep it to $4k for those who have the drawbar already.
    I'm hoping to comes in at less then that. $4k is half the cost of buying a second 1100. At that point for me I'd rather do manual tool changes and just run two machines at once. Granted most of my programs only use 3-4 tools.

Cool except I dont know it will ever pay for itself on this small of a mahine. Price would have to be cheap so I think it would be a good idea for whoever is making them to get rid of all of the not needed sheet metal just to cut cost to help keep the price down. The only real question I have is the tool change position how do you maintain the tool pushing up while locking it? You need some type of pressure since it does not pull up on the tool while loading. The design looks good.

How many here are seriously considering the upcoming Tormach ATC?

I'm in the interested category but not sure if it can be justified for my usage. I do mostly hobby projects, though, so the cost is harder to justify than it might be for those that do commercial work.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post

I'm in the interested category but not sure if it can be justified for my usage. I do mostly hobby projects, though, so the cost is harder to justify than it might be for those that do commercial work.

Mike
    Well not me as I need it for the 770. But, I am actually waiting for Tormach to release the Speeder which will fit the 770 and be of more use to me.

That tool changer is cool!

One thing about Tormach, they are never standing still. I don't know what it will cost, but it will sure add a lot to the machine.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post

One thing about Tormach, they are never standing still. I don't know what it will cost, but it will sure add a lot to the machine.

Cheers,

BW
    And they seem to put quite a bit of design and testing into their products as well.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post

Cheers,

BW
    And from the way it is designed, it might add a lot to an IH mill too... It looks as though it could easily be adapted for use on other mills providing the headstock clears the ATC motor.

bob

Changerq

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post

Mike
    Well I would, I've already spent $18,000+ at Tormach, what's a few thousand more.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

"Well I would, I've already spent $18,000+ at Tormach, what's a few thousand more."

Very true, what a cool option to look forward to...

I will buy one if the intelligence is there for the manual toolchanges.
    Meaning when tool 11 comes up Mach will put tool 10 away and prompt you to put tool 11 in.
    I have made parts that take over 20 tools and my girl operates while I am at the day job. I don't need her trying to swap back and forth between programs or reloading the toolchanger.

Quote Originally Posted by howecnc View Post
    I will buy one if the intelligence is there for the manual toolchanges.
    Meaning when tool 11 comes up Mach will put tool 10 away and prompt you to put tool 11 in.
    I have made parts that take over 20 tools and my girl operates while I am at the day job. I don't need her trying to swap back and forth between programs or reloading the toolchanger.
    Well, it's just Mach3 macros, so it is definitely doable. The issue is going to be that if you have to modify yourself to get there, doesn't that void the warranty?

Best,

BW

Hello,
    Good day. Is there somebody here know where to source umbrella like ATC the same as inhttp://grizzly.com/products/CNC-Mill-w-12-Position-ATC/G0618. This can be a good comparison in price or tech.

Looking at the video closely, I noticed the tool holders all have a groove around the circumference like a CAT-40 holder (only smaller). As well as a stanard size diameter for the changer to hold on to.

None of the TTS holders on Tormach's web site have this groove.

It looks like if you want to use this toolchanger, you will need new tool holders.

Quote Originally Posted by pebbert View Post
    Looking at the video closely, I noticed the tool holders all have a groove around the circumference like a CAT-40 holder (only smaller). As well as a stanard size diameter for the changer to hold on to.

None of the TTS holders on Tormach's web site have this groove.

It looks like if you want to use this toolchanger, you will need new tool holders.
    Very likely true. BTW, they offered toolholders like that on request for people experimenting with an ATC. I assume they're still available.

Best,

BW

Page 1 of 3 123