586,052 active members*
4,026 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

ATC-

This is what I need, while I don't want to run the machine lights out, I'd like to be able to be assembling parts, fabbing other stuff, running another machine doing second ops or doing installs while the machine runs and not have to stop every 10 min or less to change a tool. Also I can make better use a pallet type fixturing now too, you know making 6 parts at a time and not stop to change tools. I can't wait.
    Being able to individually set to numbers to tool position(if I read it right) is awesome, I don't use more than 8 tools at a time now so 10 will be great.
    I'm sure home hobbyist's don't need one but us small mfg's do.
    This should be the best thing yet, and could only be outdone by the "slant bed lathe"?.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

I was just looking at the Tormach 1100 as a possible machine tool. I was curious about the Automated Tool Changer, but when I looked at the web site LittleMachineShop.com - Automatic Tool Changer, R8 Mini Mill it says it's Discontinued. The Tool Upgrade Program has also been Discontinued.

The Z-Bot Power Drawbar does not say it's Discontinued, so at least that's still available. But, does anyone know why the ATC was discontinued? The Tormach PCNC 1100 was looking very much like what I needed, but if advancements in the system are disappearing then I have doubts about the continued support of other existing equipment.

I think that the LMS tool changer and drawbar have nothing to do with the PCNC 1100, they are designed for a mini mill.

If you want to know what Tormach are upto you need to look at the Tormach website.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Rockn-Roll View Post
    I was just looking at the Tormach 1100 as a possible machine tool. I was curious about the Automated Tool Changer, but when I looked at the web site LittleMachineShop.com - Automatic Tool Changer, R8 Mini Mill it says it's Discontinued. The Tool Upgrade Program has also been Discontinued.

The Z-Bot Power Drawbar does not say it's Discontinued, so at least that's still available. But, does anyone know why the ATC was discontinued? The Tormach PCNC 1100 was looking very much like what I needed, but if advancements in the system are disappearing then I have doubts about the continued support of other existing equipment.

It's more than a year since the Youtube demo of what looked like a fully functional ATC. Does anybody know what the holdup is. A one year delay seems serious. Could it be reliability problems discovered during extended prototype testing. An occasional tool pullout, without some form of errror/problem feedback, could seriously spoil your day if you,re running an ATC unattended.

Phil

You guys need to follow Tormachs site. You would then know that they just entered a beta testing stage with the ATC.

The question was not "what are they currently doing" the question was "why the delay".

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    You guys need to follow Tormachs site. You would then know that they just entered a beta testing stage with the ATC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockn-Roll View Post
    The Tormach PCNC 1100 was looking very much like what I needed, but if advancements in the system are disappearing then I have doubts about the continued support of other existing equipment.
    You need to seriously improve your research skills if you are going to plunk down $10k+ on a CNC mill and want to be happy with your decision. As Phil stated, the discontinued ATC you mentioned has nothing to do with Tormach and assuming that ATC has any bearing on Tormach's corporate viability demonstrates an astounding lack of logic and understanding of product lines. Maybe you would be better served by shopping at Harbor Freight.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    The question was not "what are they currently doing" the question was "why the delay".

Phil
    Phil, You have always brought up concerns on the complexity of getting something like an ATC right.(rightfully so) My guess, is at least a couple prototypes would be in order. The testing, analysis and re engineering of each... on top of everything else that Tormach has been working on. A year seems pretty reasonable to get into beta testing.

Dont forget the company by most standards is small, so I would assume they may not be able to put engineers full time on a project like this. Just speculation on my part though.

David

If I recall correctly, the video they showed was a adapted ATC that was not designed by tormach and had quite a few design issues for being used with their machines. Since then they have evidently created a ATC specifically designed for Tormach which would have required castings, testing, sourcing parts, etc.. I think a year is a very reasonable timeframe for that.

A working model, not machine mounted, was shown on youtube in December 2009. It just seems like a long time ago.

I would think that once you have a significant investment in the development you can't afford to work on it part time.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    Phil, You have always brought up concerns on the complexity of getting something like an ATC right.(rightfully so) My guess, is at least a couple prototypes would be in order. The testing, analysis and re engineering of each... on top of everything else that Tormach has been working on. A year seems pretty reasonable to get into beta testing.

Dont forget the company by most standards is small, so I would assume they may not be able to put engineers full time on a project like this. Just speculation on my part though.

David

December 2009:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxHBsPyUj4&NR=1"]YouTube - Automatic Tool Changer Concept #1 - Tormach Engineering Sneak Peak[/nomedia]

The video is labeled Tormach Engineering Sneak Peak.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    If I recall correctly, the video they showed was a adapted ATC that was not designed by tormach and had quite a few design issues for being used with their machines. Since then they have evidently created a ATC specifically designed for Tormach which would have required castings, testing, sourcing parts, etc.. I think a year is a very reasonable timeframe for that.

And when they posted that video they made this comment.

We will continue to look at ATC ideas, but any ATC we would design is still a long way away from the marketplace. We’re still encouraging third-party solutions to ATCs and also welcome other ideas from the public.

This video was posted when the announced the beta testing sign up.

YouTube - Tormach ATC at CNC Workshop

And there's a new video and status update in Tormach blog entry from last week some time. It sounds like they have finalized the design and are a few months or less from commercial release.

Mike

I can't wait to find out the final price of the toolchanger. I have been estimating $4000 and I am hoping it is not much higher.

From the video clip, it looks like the Mach3 screen and integrated tool setter are really nicely done.

Should be quite a productivity bump for these mills!

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Page 3 of 3 123