586,102 active members*
2,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking Motor Help Needed

I am new here so please do not flame me if this is posted in the wrong area. I am in the planning stages of my CNC Router and have a couple short questions(many more to come I am sure!!). I have some motors that I believe are DC brushless but am not 100% sure. I am hoping they are Servos, but do not believe they are. I have Googled the part numbers on the motors and am not finding any info about them, nor have I had any luck at the manufacturer's web site(s). I would appreciate it if anyone may have these motors or knows where I can find info about them. First Motor is marked: Litton, Clifton Precsion, Model: JDTH-2350-FN-1C, Cust P/N: 243986 Rev. B, Date Code:8925.
    The second motor is marked IMC, then Hansen Mfg. Co. Inc. Numbers in the first box are 151-26-1 and numbers in the second box are 9006.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance I can get, as I would like to get this project started but do not want to spec out my table, etc. if I am able to use these motors instead of the stepper motors I have lying around. Thank you in advance.

DCBL or AC with have three stator windings, i.e. three power connections, if stepper, 6 or more.
    Also do they have feedback components such as encoder etc?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

They are definately DC motors. There is a + and - that when I connected 12V DC to they spin. There is also a 5 pin connection on the bottom of the motr, which I am assuming is the encoder. I really did not think they were Servo's, as I have worked with them in the past, but I have not seen motors like these before. They came out of an early 1990's plotter. From everything I have read, I can not use regular DC motors for a CNC router, correct? I would still like to get the specs on these motors for use in my robot projects. I am assuming the encoder is capable of connecting to a micro controller, but just do not know thr wiring set up. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You mentioned DC brushless so I didn't mention DC brushed.
    If they have a feedback device, they most likely are DC servo's.
    Probably single ended with 5 connections, power, A-B and Marker.
    Motor specs and encoder pin out may have to be done by reverse engineering.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.