586,677 active members*
3,074 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fourth axis install

I have a late model TM-1 and I would like to add a 4th axis. Unfortunately I didn't get the 4th axis wiring when I bought the machine. If I order the 4th axis stuff from Haas am I going to be able to install it pretty easily myself or will a Haas Tech visit be needed for sure? I am about 2 hours away from my HFO so a Tech visit would be expensive just for the 4 hours travel time. I'd like to avoid that if I can but obviously I don't want to get in over my head either. I have only been inside the control cabinet once. I added the coolant kit that came with the machine new (but wasn't installed) and that was a very easy 10 minute plug and play exercise. Does anyone know if adding the 4th axis be similar?
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT

I don't think it will be rocket science. Honestly, if it's like the other Haas kits it probably comes with installation instructions. The catch is that you're going to have to pay for the 4th axis option, not just buy the hardware. There is a turn-on code that goes with it and it won't work if you don't have that.

But--yeah--I don't see any reason you should need a service call to install a plug & play option.
    Greg

Based on my experience you have a 50 - 50 chance it will go smoothly doing it yourself. I have had a few retrofitted and most went smoothly but some needed the machine parameters tweaked a little bit.

Incidentally it is my understanding that the price given on the Haas website for the 4th axis hardware includes installation and the turn-on code. Granted you would be stuck with the travel time charge.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Based on my experience you have a 50 - 50 chance it will go smoothly doing it yourself. I have had a few retrofitted and most went smoothly but some needed the machine parameters tweaked a little bit.

Incidentally it is my understanding that the price given on the Haas website for the 4th axis hardware includes installation and the turn-on code. Granted you would be stuck with the travel time charge.
    Thanks, I'll ask about the pricing again then. When I talked with the HFO last week they said it would cost me the option price listed by Haas for the 4th axis electrics kit (which did include the code) plus an estimated $750 to $900 for travel and install labor. I was just trying to avoid paying almost $1000 extra for an option that only costs about $2000. I'll call them again and if the cost story is the same maybe I'll just give it a try myself assuming the 50/50 success rate that you guys predict and if I get in trouble then go for the Tech Service I suppose. Or just trade the TM-1 in for another new VF-2 with the 4th installed . I really like the TM-1 though, it has been a prototype work horse for me. Thanks for the help and advice.
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT