586,076 active members*
3,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Lathe Suggestions

I am looking for a CNC Lathe that is as easy to program as my Clausing Kondia with 3 axis Acurite Millpwr CNC control. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You will probably have better luck getting suggestions in another forum section - this one is for the LittleMachineShop brand of CNC tools and I don't think that they market a lathe.

Mike

Smile

The Trak TRL lathes from Southwestern Industries are very easy to learn machines for a small shop or toolroom. I have the smallest model which is the TRL 1440 (no longer available new), and have done amazing things with it. After you read through the setup procedures and basic functions, you can be making parts in an hour. The beauty of them is that you can use them manually just as you would a cnc knee mill. They are designed for machinists rather than machine operators on a production line, though they will do very well on small lots. If your part is fairly simple and you are motivated, a thousand parts is doable-I've done it. If you look around on the net or eBay they can be found used for 10 to 17 K$. I found mine on eBay locally for 14K. New, they run in the low 20's and up. The very first models used Standard Modern iron - on the flimsy side. The newer ones from the late 90's on are Romi or Metosa iron, I'm not sure, but much more rigid and larger ways. Another nice toolroom CNC lathe is the small Haas, which is similar in price new, but too new to find a choice of used models.

If you're thinking of a CNC turning center for production, they can be found fairly inexpensive, but older, much heavier, and hard to move.

If you are looking for real economy and don't need super finishes, MicroKinetics has a couple of nice stepper motor based light machines, a 12" and a 14" new for $6k to $9k and retro fits for the same lathes from Enco, etc., for several thousand less.

Hope this helps a little,

Woody