586,102 active members*
3,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Question about the x4 nd above series mills

Question about the x4 nd above series mills

Have any of you owners of the X4 series looked under the top cap of the mill at the pulley system? By any chance would you have photos or even blueprints of the spindle head and pulleys?

Are the heads quiet when they run or do they sound like a freight train with square wheels like the SX3 from Grizzly does?

Smile

Hi

They are a toothed belt and a super quiet compared to X3 or other geared head machines .At first i went down the retro fit path but lost interest as it was taking so long and i need to start machining so i just bit the bullet and purchased an X4 .I have over 2000hrs on my X4 doing prototype work etc with no problems so far(other than small teething problems operator mainly also coolant system piping is a bit weird that nees some differrent routing etc ) If you want a pic posted of the belt let me

That would be great if you could post a photo. I am looking to see how the X4 design deals with the spindle. They claim thier drawbar will not put any pressure on the spindle bearings. I just am curious. Thanks alot.

You can send them to me by email as well if you would prefer, just PM me.

Chris

I think you are getting confused with their new power drawbar (which i dont have)i only have stadard threaded drawbar and use some TTS tooling

Yes, I read where the power drawbar wasn't supposed to put any pressure on the bearings. But I would like to see how they attached your pulley to the spindle.

Thanks
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cjdavis618 View Post
    That would be great if you could post a photo. I am looking to see how the X4 design deals with the spindle. They claim thier drawbar will not put any pressure on the spindle bearings. I just am curious. Thanks alot.

You can send them to me by email as well if you would prefer, just PM me.

Chris

about the draw bar you need contact syilnorthamerica.com
    call keith,he mostly sell a lot of those.
    xushuo
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

hello Chris,
    I hope that the attached is useful -
    (it is of an X4+ which was damaged in transit.)

Hugh
    Syil.UK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT1346 (Medium).JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by hughlss View Post
    hello Chris,
    I hope that the attached is useful -
    (it is of an X4+ which was damaged in transit.)

Hugh
    Syil.UK

Thanks for posting the photo. I was trying to determine if the splined shaft was still used on the X4 series of cnc mills since there were no quill handles.

I noticed that your pully uses a hexagon shaped bore that is broached for the splines. What tolerances are on the splines and is there a reason to keep them on the shaft in that model?

In the SX3 manual mill, there is much slop in the quill mating to pulley surface and it increases the noise to an unbearable level unless the mill is in an enclosed space. I am looking for solutions to remove the "slop" and make the mill quiet.

Are the X5,X6,x7 series also using a quill splined shaft?

Hi Chris,
    the 2010 models do not used the splined shafts anymore, the spindle shaft is now turned and ground steel and a pair of flats on the very end for a wrench. Changing to this system eliminates a ton of noise and creates a better power transfer in the drive system. I can talk to Keith to double check the housing dimensions to see if the 2010 spindle cartridge would fit in an X3 spindle housing. As for the X5, X6 and X7, they all are using a turned and ground spindle shafts also. If you have any other questions feel free to contact Keith or myself @ 403-400-7945.

Cheers,
    Phil
    Syil North America

I would really appreciate it if you could check that for me. Replacing the spindle cartridge is another option that I would consider. I do have some other ideas on a way to retrofit the sx3 as well, but in the interest of time, would be glad to replace the assembly in order to get more done.

Please let me know if you can source the entire assembly for a drop in fit and I will gladly purchase one from you. PM me with details if you prefer.

Thanks
    Chris

Question X4 update

Hi Phil or Keith,
    What parts and costs are involved in updating my older version X4+.
    Thanks , Len

Hi Len,

To change out the spindle is pretty easy, it's just time consuming. We'll have the pricing for the 2010 spindle cartridges later tomorrow as we both are away from the office at the moment. We'll keep you posted on pricing. We've also been prototyping a 10,000RPM capable spindle cartridge upgrade kit complete with NSK high speed bearings and should have all the details on that one ironed out shortly.

Cheers,
    Phil
    Syil North America

I look forward to the info. Thanks

Any news on pricing for these spindles?

Thanks.

do you have a direct drive spindle that isnt so noisy??

Hey guys,
    Sorry about the delay, we got tied up prepping machines to ship from the X4 sale. For the guys who are curious about replacing their spindles to the turned and ground shafts instead of the splined shafts, the cost is $650US + Shipping/Brokerage. These spindle cartridges are 5000RPM capable. As for direct drive spindles, they are only on the speedmaster lineup, they use a different spindle control system. The standard and plus series machines utilize a PWM control for the spindle motors whereas the speedmaster series utilize a VFD control.
    Cheers,
    Phil

My mill has a quill that is 60.071 mm. Does that matchwhat you have?

Thanks.