586,035 active members*
3,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machine Setup

It's a two part questions.

The first is I followed the the Haas installation manual and rough level the VF-2SS, but encountered the following problem during the fine leveling of the Y-axis.

Setting the level parallel to the Y-Axis

Level at the middle of the Y-Axis

Level at the back of the Y-Axis

Level at the front of the Y-Axis

X and Y axis level on the other 4 "cross" points are okay, except for the front y axis leveling. I tried adjusting the middle leveling screws and a variety of combinations but still could not achieve a better level. Looking at the level scale, I guess this kind falls within the +/- .0005" for the entire entire travel of the y-axis, but is this normal?

The machine sat unused for about 9 month resting on the 4 corner pad. Did resting on only 4 pads distorted the casting?

The second question is regarding the terminal connection from the breaker. The current wiring is as follows,

The building has 208V, however I noticed the input voltage fluctuates on average from 210 ~ 214V. Should I connect wires 74, 75, 76 to the 226-211V block instead of the 210~190V block? and what difference does it make?

Thanks,

John

Yeah, I'd say to go to the next set of taps. Overvoltage can cook components as can undervoltage. What that affects is your DC buss voltage. Whatever comes out of that transformer, gets rectified and used unregulated by the rest of your 325VDC components. Unless you start getting low-volt alarms, the next set of taps would be the best choice.

As for level: it's a tough call. Yes, you should do the best job you can. Yes, it's close. Are you first leveling the outside 4 feet, then adjusting the center 2 feet for twist and sag?
    Greg

Thanks Donkey,

I will use the next set of taps. When I first setup the machine I was at 214V and I used the higher tap, but switch back to the lower tap when the voltage drops down to 210V the following day. Both tap gave similar ~350vdc reading at the vector drive.

For the fine leveling, I went through the 4 corner feet first then the 2 middle feet routine. I will re level again this weekend and do a spindle sweep to see the result.

Thanks again,

John

Should I go ahead with the spindle run-in?

I re-leveled but didn't get any better results. The 10" diameter Spindle sweep shows a Y axis difference of ~.0004" and ~.0001" on the X axis. Oddly, I get less error by using .001" jog dial and dragging the dial indicator on either axis... at least through the center section of the table that was cleaned. . .

At the end of the fine leveling I noticed the two back screws were a lot looser than the middle screws. No free turning, but the reduce effort in turning them was very noticeable. I'll re-level again after a few month to see if resting on all 6 pad made any difference. . .