586,112 active members*
2,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > vm-1 versus newer vm10 converational versus g code

vm-1 versus newer vm10 converational versus g code

I have been asked to consider a Hurco vmc for our next machining center purchase. There are guys here who believe some time could be saved on the simple short run jobs by programming at the machine rather than going through the programming dept. We use mastercam.

They maybe correct I am not sure.
    currently everything goes through programming and there are times they get a bit backed up.

Has anyone purchased a Hurco over other machines for that main purpose.
    I here great things about their conversational programming system but never concerned myself becuase we program all our machines through mastercam
    I want to be open minded about this as there is not much worse than a machinist waiting for programming!

It is the Hurco machine in general that I am a bit concerned about.
    How would this machine compare to a similar size Daewoo/doosan machine
    or even a fadal or haas

any imput would be very much appreciated.

Everything has it plus and minus.

Yeah, conversational programming will help short run production big time, however it can create a big problem for company later on if there isn't any guideline for those employee to follow. Example, like curtain employee don't want to save good/working programs to main computer where everyone can download and use it for future run, instead just keep back up to themself for job security. If they are gone all that will go with them, then square one.

Other thing, ten person will got ten difference ideas how thing should be done with the same work, and once you let them program and run the way they like to, then the shop will has ten difference systems instead one. That's will be the big mess, unless employer create one unit setup process and that's only system should be. If anyone want to create a new program, MUST follow the guidline or else. I used to work for a place, everyone is claimed they are programmer once she/he get good with conversational and everyone want to do their own thing. They rufused to run other person program ....... they want to make their own program.

My opion, Conversational is good, only it has to be merge with existent system you have in house otherwise trouble/mess.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

CNCRim

Great points you brought up!
    Your correct I can see that happening unless protocol is established and managed well.

as soon as they become proficient some will decide that they are the best programmer for that machine. I know just what you mean.

What do you think of Hurco machine tools are they good machines even if your not considering "at the machine" programming"?

Would someone buy one on their merits as a machining center against the competition

I loved having a Hurco around to make the fixturing for the other production VMC's

Cost wise it took way too long to generate tool paths then make the fixtures in the Mega buck machines (Mori Seiki's)

On the other hand the Hurco runs G-code just fine when made with the proper POST -and- for running off the Hard drive or DNC there are no memory limits like the other machines.

Having a Hurco gives you options.

If money is not a subject, I would recommend go with a Mori, Makino or Mazak. However, Hurco will do just fine. As long as it can spit out good part I care less brand name.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

thanks for the helpful responses

I can't justify the premium production machine costs for the department that this machine will be in.
    this is essentially a prototype department 1-50 of a part usually in aluminum
    with other processes mixed in such as EDM ect. Tolerances are .004" typically

I would probably use the benefits of the hurco to produce fixturing for other machines though.

Are you guys using the VM or VMX machines?

I use a older KM3p.

I use a older KM3p. Kinda predecessor to the Hawk.

Basically its a full CNC Knee mill requiring manual tool changes.

I think when Hurco was able to produce the VM1 (now VM10) near the same price point as the open manual tool change machines it was simpler for them to just drop that line rather than figure out ways to meet the new DIN safety interlock requirements.