586,545 active members*
3,138 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Quick and Easy CAM for one-off?

Quick and Easy CAM for one-off?

I am new to CNC. I have been designing a lot of parts that I'll be creating only one of, or parts that I might create a couple of, but want to proto out real fast.

I've played with a couple CAM packages, but they seem like a lot of setup. I'd like to find a CAM package that allows me to generate toolpaths quickly, but still returns good results. I realize the more complex you get, the better toolpaths you can create.

Most of the work will be 2.5D, primarly 3 axis routing. I may dabble in 3 axis milling in the near future. Some of it will be just cutting, some will 2.5d parts, some creating from raster, like photos, engraving, etc.

Please do not count price as a factor. Obviously I like cheaper, but I'm looking at all angles.

In short, I do 3axis, 2.5d work on a cnc router. I am looking for a CAM that will take my CAD drawings, and with minimal setup, output good quality to gcode.

Thanks for the insight!

I've never used this. But sounds like your interest.

http://cadem.com/camlite/camlite.htm

Karl

Easy CAM

Maybe something outside the "cad/cam box" ... KipwareM ... www.KentechInc.com

OneCNC XR Mill Professional
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the insight all! I'm continuing my investigation. The Cadem software looks especially interesting. =)

If you are interested in machining from raster images and virtual sculptures, you might want to take a look at VS3D. Of course, I'm a bit biased since I wrote VS3D. Here is a tutorial showing the carving of a raster image in VS3D:

http://www.designscomputed.com/vs3d/...mg_emboss.html
    Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC

Oh, that is so tricky Cadem versus Cadam......Cadem is in Banglore and Cadam is French....in fact I think IBM started Cadam....anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung
    OneCNC XR Mill Professional
    I second that! They seemed to have put a bunch of new movies on their website too!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Isn't OneCNC up in the megabuck range??

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    Isn't OneCNC up in the megabuck range??
    Heck no, kilobucks, yes

He said not to use price as a determining factor. In reality, if anyone out there is serious about machining at a profit, OneCNC is actually inexpensive. Admittedly, you do feel like you're taking a risk to start with, but afterwards, you'll wonder how machining is done with less capable softwares.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

I have been using OneCnc for about a year and a half now . OneCnc XP was very good for the price but, OneCnc XR is AMAZING. It is the easiest and best modeling software at any price in my opinion. If you are going to do alot of 3D machining get it. As far as the graphics (both simulation and part modeling) - they are the highest quality that I have ever seen (including Mastercam). Price is ALOT less than Mastercam. It is not HOBBY software so it isnt going to be cheap either.......
    Patrick