586,036 active members*
4,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport EZ-Vision Connection

I have recently purchased a cad-cam solution that has post processors for the Bridgeport EZ-Vision Converse. Can anyone tell me how I can port the pc to the control unit to upload g-codes? I don't see a DB25 parallel port like the EZ-Trak. Do I connect using the usb ports or ethernet port instead? I see a serial port, but I'm assuming it is to connect another display. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because our shop would like to get past the "canned" cycles that it comes with.

I have never seen one of the newer EZvision Bridgeports. The information from their website says it has two usb ports and that there is no need to DNC.

Can't you just transfer programs with a flash drive using the usb ports ?? The older EZtraks used a floppy drive.

If your cam program has the conversational post, I would recomend using it. It is much easier to edit at the control.

Pete

Thank you for your reply. Your right, I just loaded the file and let the control convert it to it's program code and it works great! Can I edit parameters within the control similar to the canned cycles without having to go back in cad and re-post the code into another file?

Editing a program from cad

If it works similar to the EZtrak, you can. On the EZtrak you go to edit, then cursor down to the line you would like to edit and hit the revise line key and it should pop up the same dialog box that you would use as if your were writing a program at the control. Then you can change any value you choose.

I think the control is great, some don't like it.

Good luck, Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey1719 View Post
    I have recently purchased a cad-cam solution that has post processors for the Bridgeport EZ-Vision Converse. Can anyone tell me how I can port the pc to the control unit to upload g-codes? I don't see a DB25 parallel port like the EZ-Trak. Do I connect using the usb ports or ethernet port instead? I see a serial port, but I'm assuming it is to connect another display. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because our shop would like to get past the "canned" cycles that it comes with.
    You should be able to use the USB ports. I use them to upload programs I write on my lap top. I also use them for a mouse and a keyboard. The stereo looking jack is for a remote start/stop switch. Can you tell me more about the Cad_cam solution? With Hardinge's last software update I lost some of the machines functions. I can no longer face unless I program each pass by hand. The stop command does nothing, as a work around I have to program a tool change for stops. There are other problems and Hardinge has basically washed their hands of the CNC end of the mill. I'm looking for a software solution until my new TRAK DPM SX3 arrives in several months.

Cad Cam Solution

If it uses the same post processor as the older EZtraks. OneCNC is a good choice. I have been using it on my EZtrak for several years with good results. If you would like I could send you a sample program for you to try. The conversational post should have a .pgm extension on the file and the standard g-code will have a .txt extension.

It's a shame that Hardinge isn't standing behind their product.

Pete

I'm not sure what the post processor is. I had never used any form of CNC machine until the Co. purchased the EZ Vision about 5 years ago. I use the conversational programming and while I know that G Code is a programming language I've never had the opportunity to learn much about it.

With the some of the useful conversational aspects of my EZ Vision not functioning I've been looking for some way to make the machine more functional without having the machine refitted with a different computer and servo packages. I found a company that for 10K will install a new servo package and associated items but the Co. is not interested in that option. They are receptive to some sort of software upgrade or replacement though.

I've done some internet searching but have not had much luck and frankly I'm not even sure what I should be looking for. Any useful information and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DamascusKnifemaker

"You should be able to use the USB ports. I use them to upload programs I write on my lap top"

You mention that you are writing programs on your laptop. What are you using to produce the programs now??

Hardinge has a version of EZ Vision for a laptop that mimics the mill‘s conversational format. If it is a long complicated program I will use the laptop at my desk and then transfer it to the mill.