586,724 active members*
3,795 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > How many people know what a milling machine is?

View Poll Results: How many people know what a milling machine is?

Voters
626. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 in 10 or less

352 56.23%
  • 2 in 10

142 22.68%
  • 4 in 10

79 12.62%
  • 6 in 10

30 4.79%
  • 8 in 10

9 1.44%
  • 10 in 10

14 2.24%
Page 4 of 4 234
    Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    .....looking at a JCB- I was so lost in thought as to how you would make one from scratch.....
    You don't need to look at something that big. How are hearing aid batteries made, come to think of it how are hearing aids made? Big things I can visualize making but teeny tiny things sometimes puzzle me.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

So which is more incredible? Nanotechnology manufactured by our modern technomages or the megalithic structures created in ancient times before the invention of the wheel?

DP

It's kind of the same when you ask someone if they have a hobby. Not sports, and not something to just pass time. Having a hobby that involves milling machines, and you are in it is probably less then 0.01% of the population.

Whenever I ask someone how they got the education they have (mostly highly educated people), they all tell me "it sounded OK" or "they make a lot of money". Kind of sad.

I'm a precision mechanic, and there is almost no one who knows what that is. I got my teacher to show me hand scraping, and other cool stuff that most people (not even machinists) know what is. I feel sad at knowing about the amount of information and skills that have been lost over time.

About girls and mechanics. My girlfriend knows a lot about machine tools, and she helps me quite a bit with projects (suggestions mostly, but she will also help out if I need an extra hand). I bet that there are just as few girls that will do that, as there are girls that know what a milling machine is. One of the new apprentices where I work is a girl, and shes fairly good. So I guess there is hope

One last funny thing. Before I started on my education as a machinist, I made spudguns and air rifles, and I had the need for something to cut plastic. Out from this I drew a XY table in a 3D program made for making maps for games, and was planning on using a drill press as the spindle. I had no idea there was something called a milling machine, and so I had just planned on using drill bits for cutting (I know it would not have worked, but the theory was at least partly right). Never got around to it (luckily) before moving to Denmark to take the machinist education. I knew what a lathe was though.

Just noticed one more funny thing while reading some of the posts in this topic. This forum is one of few places on the net, where most people use punctuation, and correct spelling.

Smile Its official--- women like geeks

Quote Originally Posted by The Blight View Post
    About girls and mechanics. My girlfriend knows a lot about machine tools, and she helps me quite a bit with projects (suggestions mostly, but she will also help out if I need an extra hand). I bet that there are just as few girls that will do that, as there are girls that know what a milling machine is. One of the new apprentices where I work is a girl, and shes fairly good. So I guess there is hope
    I suppose we have more hope on the way:
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/l...ow/6432117.cms

I think it is we who think that girls don't like mechanics when they "pretend" not to get attracted to guys who are good with tools & gadgets

Mills vs. lathes

Anyone ever considered this very principal difference between the two - in lathes the tool is stationary while the work is spinning, in a mill the work is held stationary while the tool is spinning.

Not very earth-shattering, but still, makes one contemplate doesn't it?

Yeah, considering the two milling seems more logical to me, the cutter should move, instead of the material. Maybe that's why I detest turning as much as I do.

Also, you can use a Mil as a lathe by clamping the part in the spindle and the tool to the bed, but you can't use a lathe as a mill- well not on mine anyways.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    Also, you can use a Mil as a lathe by clamping the part in the spindle and the tool to the bed, but you can't use a lathe as a mill- well not on mine anyways.
    This is true. That reminds me of how this one coworker in the lathe dept. would always wander over to me in the mill dept. and go on and on about lathes with live tooling. He would rave about it to no end like it was some kind of miracle. I got him to shut the hell up by saying "What so special about that? In the mill the tooling is always 'live'!"

Milling on a lathe

Actually Imancarrot, you can mill on a lathe quite easily. You would normally need an attachment which is like an angle plate with a cross slide hanging on the vertical face. This angle plate is bolted on where your compound slide usually mounts. You clamp the cutter in the lathe chuck, and move the clamped work forwards and back, up and down, and left-right with the lathe's saddle wheels. Kind of horizontal milling, I guess.

Wish I had a photo - a picture's worth a thousand words!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikspens View Post
    Actually Imancarrot, you can mill on a lathe quite easily. You would normally need an attachment which is like an angle plate with a cross slide hanging on the vertical face. This angle plate is bolted on where your compound slide usually mounts. You clamp the cutter in the lathe chuck, and move the clamped work forwards and back, up and down, and left-right with the lathe's saddle wheels. Kind of horizontal milling, I guess.

Wish I had a photo - a picture's worth a thousand words!
    Actually, we are using Milling attachments on our Lathe but it not fulfill all the milling requirements
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Here you are, lotsa pictures.

http://www.shopwiki.com/lathe+milling+attachment
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Re: How many people know what a milling machine is?

Originally Posted by The Blight
    It's kind of the same when you ask someone if they have a hobby. Not sports, and not something to just pass time. Having a hobby that involves milling machines, and you are in it is probably less then 0.01% of the population.
    A lot of my friends has heard of this, but if you want to explain what it is, then you can come across a silent conversation. That's to say, they just know a little about it, but not any more ...... something like that.
    ISweek(http://www.isweek.com/)- Industry sourcing & Wholesale industrial products

Re: Mills vs. lathes

Quote Originally Posted by Sikspens View Post
    Anyone ever considered this very principal difference between the two - in lathes the tool is stationary while the work is spinning, in a mill the work is held stationary while the tool is spinning.

Not very earth-shattering, but still, makes one contemplate doesn't it?
    I'm a broadcast engineer and not a Machinist but have been called on by a local company to maintain various automated capstan lathes

as a result had the opportunity to see lathes like this that breaks your rule - a lathe that has the tools rotating around the work piece !!!

Attachment 289632

or

Attachment 289636

Unlike conventional lathes, escomatic lathes are based on a unique concept. The material,
    which is coil stock or bar, does not rotate. The cutting tools mounted onto the
    spinning tool head rotate around the material.

www.escomatic.ch | turning machines and turning centres

John

Re: How many people know what a milling machine is?

Milling is the machining process of using rotary cutters to remove material from a work-piece advancing (or feeding) in a direction at an angle with the axis of the tool. It covers a wide variety of different operations and machines, on scales from small individual parts to large, heavy-duty gang milling operations. It is one of the most commonly used processes in industry and machine shops today for machining parts to precise sizes and shapes.

Milling can be done with a wide range of machine tools. The original class of machine tools for milling was the milling machine (often called a mill). After the advent of computer numerical control (CNC), milling machines evolved into machining centers (milling machines with automatic tool changers, tool magazines or carousels, CNC control, coolant systems, and enclosures), generally classified as vertical machining centers (VMCs) and horizontal machining centers (HMCs). The integration of milling into turning environments and of turning into milling environments, begun with live tooling for lathes and the occasional use of mills for turning operations, led to a new class of machine tools, multitasking machines (MTMs), which are purpose-built to provide for a default machining strategy of using any combination of milling and turning within the same work envelope.
    ISweek(http://www.isweek.com/)- Industry sourcing & Wholesale industrial products

Re: China

Wrong post. How do I delete it?

Page 4 of 4 234