586,105 active members*
3,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Mechanical Calculations/Engineering Design > Correct Loctite for locking bolt head not thread?

Question Correct Loctite for locking bolt head not thread?

Hi guys,

I've tried to search for the right Loctite to prevent some Hex-Head bolts from losening but have had no luck on the Loctite site(s).
    They all seem to be the Anaerobic type which is surely not what I need. I want something semi-permanent to bond the head to prevent movement since I cannot (dare not) remove the bolts.:nono:
    I spent many hours trying to fix this air bearing and finally lucked out putting it back together.
    :tired:

Mark

Hi

Could you perhaps try wire locking like they use on racing machinery?

Brian
    www.eBolt.co.uk
    www.jacobschuck.co.uk

Red face This time with picture..

Brian

Thanks but nope. Good grief I forgot to add the picture .... sorry!!

Besides, I need to bolt another larger diameter plate/flange on the bearing face.

Out of focus pic as well...... old camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SSL21121_resize.jpg  

No problem, better with the picture

A couple of points;
    The only loctite solutions I have seen go on the threads but I am a little confused, are you trying just to stop the bolts coming loose or make it difficult for someone to attempt to undo them?

If it's to stop them coming loose then you could use a Schnorr type locking washer
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ToolsAndBol...34Q2ec0Q2em322

If it's to stop someone inadvertantly undoing the bolts then it depends on how persistant that person might be. it could be anything from a warning to welding the bolts in place

Brian
    www.eBolt.co.uk
    www.jacobschuck.co.uk

Brian,

I can't undo these bolts now to put on a washer. I want to prevent them from moving lose but also not permanent. No one is going to be touching them but me I hope.
    So maybe there isn't a Loctite for it. Some type if semi-permanent glue compound then to dab on the head of the bolt?

Mark

OK understand now.

A good solution would be to drill and tap a small hole on the edge of the cap head and then screw in a small grub screw.

If that is not allowed then squirt some locktite around the head and then make sure the bolt is tight. I have assemble many high speed press tools in my time and rarely used locttie or locking washers on the cap head bolts and never had any come loose;just make sure they are done up tight.

That's assuming the bolts are able to be done up tight or are they part of the adjustment? f they are then the grub screw is probably your only way.

Brian
    www.eBolt.co.uk
    www.jacobschuck.co.uk

Hi Mark

Haqve a look at this - http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/f900.php - it is used in both the aircraft and electronic / optical industries to lock important adjustment screws and provide that effential anti tamper warning.

I have used bright coloured nail varnish on optical adjustment screws but the parts have been degreased well prior to assembly.

Hope this helps - Regards - Pat

Loctite is not magic, it can "bond the head to the surface" - I doubt there is ANY material with enough shear strength, short of welding, that would do that effectively.

Are you concerned about the three in the middle or the bolts on the outside edge?

Why can you not remove one screw, apply Loctite, mount screw, and move on to the next one? Do you "ever" want to be able to disassemble it? If you have to, you could apply clamps to the sides of the one bolt you remove at a time to apply some clamping force.

If that truly is out of the question, you could fill the pockets with JBWeld and pray, you could drill in to the heads and in to the base material, and hammer in a dowel pin. You could weld it in.

Now I am confused. You want to know if it DID move, or you want to PREVENT it from moving?

Again, if you want to prevent it from moving, I think you are going to need to remove one bolt at a time and "do it right". I would suggest using Loctite Blue on the threads. Green isn't very strong, and Red is WAAAAYYYYY strong.

A good solution would be to drill and tap a small hole on the edge of the cap head and then screw in a small grub screw
    bwprice's idea will work perfectly- those cap heads will not move anywhere using that method.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.