586,553 active members*
3,471 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

WCS and 5-axis

I hate to post 3-rd question in the row but I promise it is going to the last one

I need to machine a surface of the Ionic column which is fluted along the shaft and ending with scallops. I have tried 5-axis Multisurf but it failed due to complexity of the surface. Rotating the actual stock on the table would be difficult as it would require special jig. So I am thinking to try to rotate WCS to position my stock that I could use 3-axis surface machining. Will that work? Will my 5-axis router rotate the A and B-axis to apropriate angle and machine my 3-axis code? I admit that I never tried this before and reading help is not that clear as I wish.
    Joe

The software will do that, but your biggest hurdle might be getting a 5 axis post processor for MC and your machine.

You can set WCS to the tool plane you want by clicking tplane in the secondary menu and set from entity that is in the same plane, like an arc, edges etc.

Thanks Nervis1,
    I'll try it tuesday. I have a 5-axis post which should do it. I'll let you know.

Well, it didn't work. All MasterCam did when I rotated WCS or TC is to rotate my 3D model within its space and require me to rotate my stock in the real life. Other programs I used in the past were able to rotate so called MCS (Machine Coordinate System) then you could apply robust 3-axis programming and machine actually tlilted its head (adjust to new Coordinate system and and cut. Simple Z movement were replaced by simultanous Z and Y moves. Can MasterCam do that? Looks like I am missing something.
    Joe

Go to emastercam and download the WCS tutorial (I thinkit's there?), it's also on the FTP site for the Mastercam forum. It will take you step by step through doing just what you want to do.

Talking

You can download my tutorial from my site http://www.hardmilling101.com/downloads.htm
    If you need any more help you can e-mail me at work tommorrow.
    I'll send you my addy at work.

PEACE

Thanks for the tutorials guys. I'll try it tomorrow again.
    Joe

Hardmill,
    It worked! Your Idea about those two lines is excellet one. No more guessing which way my Z-axis will point. Thanks guys for helping me out. I guess I am no more new2cnc - I work 5-axis now!
    Joe