586,106 active members*
3,141 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1250 post cut cooling flow

Jim, I am cutting 11G mild steel with a 1250, W/THC.
    The torch has about an 8 second post cut air flow. I have programed into the stop macro (M15) a
    dwell time to allow the torch to finish the post cut cooling flow before the next cut starts. Is this
    necessary? I played with it manually and found it would fire for the next cut before the post flow
    was finished. My old machine would not, I had just assumed the 1250 wouldn’t either. If I
    eliminate the post stop dwell and start the next cut before the cooling flow stops will it shorten
    consumable life or cause any other problems? I have many small cuts per sheet and I could save
    some time.
    Thanks
    Morgan

Smile

I made an executive decision, assumed it was ok to eliminate post cut dwell for cooling. It
    shortened cut time from 49 min to 42 min. Let me know if this is not recommended.
    I am cutting 11G mild steel
    81 volts
    pierce @ .125"
    F65 ipm
    220329 fine cut nozzle & 120926 electrode.
    Cut height appears to be about .060"
    Cut with steel 1/4" above water.
    I am getting 336 starts per consumable set, about 1500 to 1700 inches of cut.

The cut quality is ok to good but there is heavy dross on the many small 1" fonts. The longer
    perimeter cuts are much better. I tried 80 volts (closer tip height) and 81V 70 IPM and faster but
    cut quality (taper) was worse. Any ideas to fine tune to reduce dross?

Thanks
    Morgan

Eliminating the post flow will have a minimal effect on consumable life, should not affaect anything else. If you were cutting thick material at 80 Amps I would advise against it...as the post flow helps to cool the torch body as well.

You may not be able to minimize dross on small features as your machine is in slowdown in these areas, and a bit of heat builds up, causeing dross to stick. If you can up the acceleration rates it may help.

On height....adjust the voltage until the standoff is correct....torch to work distance must be 1/16" during steady state cutting....don't worry so much about the voltage.

Jim