586,510 active members*
3,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Starting G0704 with EK's Kit
Page 1 of 2 12

Starting G0704 with EK's Kit

Have been following all the G0704 threads. Great info from Hoss and EK. Thanks again.

I ordered G0704 on 5/13, initial ship date was 6/11, then it was delayed until today, I mean TODAY, i am very excited. Once I have the machine I will post pictures.

EK's conversion kit was ordered 5/15. And received ball screws on 7/11, machined parts came in 7/12. I understand a lot of people are planning to order the EK kit.
    Here are some pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Conversion Kit (1).jpg   Conversion Kit (19).jpg   Conversion Kit (20).jpg   Conversion Kit (21).jpg  

Conversion Kit (22).jpg   Conversion Kit (2).jpg   Conversion Kit (3).jpg   Conversion Kit (4).jpg  

Conversion Kit (5).jpg   Conversion Kit (6).jpg   Conversion Kit (8).jpg   Conversion Kit (9).jpg  

Conversion Kit (10).jpg   Conversion Kit (11).jpg   Conversion Kit (12).jpg   Conversion Kit (13).jpg  

Conversion Kit (17).jpg   Conversion Kit (18).jpg  

nice kit - i am doing the same

I got my kit a couple weeks ago - also from EK. Have to say i am very pleased - though the standoffs for my z-axis motor mount are a still short - no issue though - i have a lathe so I can make new ones.

Looks like you are going for the front mount on the y-axis? I am working on finding a place to get the mill modifications done - lots to do - saddle table and column and unfortunately my machining class is over so no more access to the bridgeport. I need two mills!!!!

What about your control box - did you get everything from Kelinginc? That is the part i am the most concerned about - electronics are a BIG mystery for me!!!

Who or what is EK?

Have not been on the zone for a while, but there are some good reference materials floating around on the zone such as linear power supply tutorial, gecko has a good info paper on drives and check into breakout boards. The Mach III manual also is a good reference.

Cant wait to see the build.

Good luck!!

Ron

What is EK?

Ledinc & Doorknob,

"Ek" is Ellik,

He is the gentleman that makes the conversion kit and is a member of the CNCZone.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I have the electronics from oversea. As our company oversea purchasing bought these items for me, and I pay no shipping, which is a good deal.

I will post more pictures on electronics.

Here is the machine before anything is done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails before1 (1).jpg   before1 (3).jpg   before1 (2).jpg  

I started to take everything apart.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails disassemble (1).jpg   disassemble (2).jpg   disassemble (3).jpg   disassemble (4).jpg  

working on Z now. Sorry for the picture. I try not to use flash.

Z pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z (1).jpg   Z (2).jpg   Z (3).jpg   Z (4).jpg  

Z (5).jpg  

Y Ball Screw not fit

I am trying to put the Y ball screw in. But it will not fit. Maybe I am just tired.

And I do not want to take the nut off the screw. This is becoming a puzzle for me.

HELP NEEDED. I am pulling hair now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Y Ball Screw not fitting (1).jpg   Y Ball Screw not fitting (2).jpg   Y Ball Screw not fitting (3).jpg  

I had to thread the ball nut on the screw after the screw as in place. You may need to do it that way.

Thanks rcazwillis,

I took the nut out and put it back.

Took me 1 hour, and 3 extra ball. This is the best I can get.

The first several tries, I end up with 7 or 10+ balls. And I think 3 extra ball is probably the best I can do.

Next week, some of the parts need to be modified.

One trick I've used for removing ball nuts from the screw is to find a dowel or tube of some sort that is just a bit undersized from the screw. You butt this up to the end of the screw and when you twist off the ball nut the dowel keeps the bearings from coming out.

Wish I had a better explanation, but that is one technique.

Steve

You are definately going to want to not make that so wide, or instruct to cut a hole. rethreading inside the base is not optimal..well at least it wasnt in my rf45

For those wondering about the EK kit here is a link for the build and a link for the kit.

Build looks good so far. I know when Ellik did my mill and Blair's mill there were slight differences in the castings.

I've been away the last week or so and just noticed this thread.

I am afraid you have to take the ball nut off to insert the screw. For those with a rear mounted stepper the screw can be installed without doing so, back end first then front.

Nice pictures, thanks.

EK

Quote Originally Posted by bensonave View Post
    I am trying to put the Y ball screw in. But it will not fit. Maybe I am just tired.

And I do not want to take the nut off the screw. This is becoming a puzzle for me.

HELP NEEDED. I am pulling hair now.

By inserting the bronze bushing, that is on the stock Z lead screw, between the thrust bearing and the screw you can probably use the motor standoffs. I should make them longer though. Thanks for the feedback.

EK

Quote Originally Posted by dsdmax View Post
    I got my kit a couple weeks ago - also from EK. Have to say i am very pleased - though the standoffs for my z-axis motor mount are a still short - no issue though - i have a lathe so I can make new ones.

Looks like you are going for the front mount on the y-axis? I am working on finding a place to get the mill modifications done - lots to do - saddle table and column and unfortunately my machining class is over so no more access to the bridgeport. I need two mills!!!!

What about your control box - did you get everything from Kelinginc? That is the part i am the most concerned about - electronics are a BIG mystery for me!!!

Thanks for clearing that up Jeff.

EK.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Ledinc & Doorknob,

"Ek" is Ellik,

He is the gentleman that makes the conversion kit and is a member of the CNCZone.

Jeff...

Page 1 of 2 12