586,075 active members*
4,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fineline Automation 3x4 r&P

Does anyone have pictures of thier machine with the table attached to it? I am devising a diabolical plan to attach too much mdf. I just want a guide.

David

Are you taking about attaching your CNC top or a spoilboard?

If its a spoilboard, what does your bed look like?

My is aluminum plate drilled with 1/4" NC holes every 4". I bolt the spoilboard to these holes, countersunk. I then surface the spoilboard for flatness.

Quote Originally Posted by analogman View Post

My is aluminum plate drilled with 1/4" NC holes every 4". I bolt the spoilboard to these holes, countersunk. I then surface the spoilboard for flatness.
    Do you have pictures? Not to hijack someone's thread, but I need to do this to. What bit do you use to level everything, and do you just create one bit pocket and flat it down? What about the edges of the board where the limits prevent it from reaching?

Also, how do you do your holes? This is my next step on my machine, for now I got an old peice of particle board but as far as I can tell I am off about 1/16 of an inch from one side to another.

Table Top

Quote Originally Posted by analogman View Post

I am talking about the CNC Table top that goes under the spoilerboard. I have some trop in T nuts that I can use to bolt it on there, I am trying to decide if I need one or two pieces of MDF to make it the right height. I will have to check the bottom of my Z and see where it lands.

David

I think you want two layers of 3/4" MDF for a FL kit. I've talked to Nate about it. He recommended a complete sheet on the 8020 rails, with T track bolted to it, and ~8" wide strips of 3/4" MDF between the T tracks. Use 5/16 bolts that fit the 8020 slots though both layers. I think mine will be bolts in the 8020 and washers/nuts countersunk into the strips, but you can have T nuts in the 8020 and countersunk bolts on top.

An all aluminum 3x4 top would be pricey, but nice.

Figured it out

I spoke with Nate and he gave me that same advice. I went and bought a couple sheets of mdf and ripped them, and noticed that 6 sheets would not have gotten me close enough to the router. I have a bit of rebuilding on the Z this weekend.

David

I did get my spindle and dust collection relay problem solved....that will be awesome!

David