586,102 active members*
2,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G540 SSR Hookup

Hi folks,

I have a 25A/250 Volt SSR that I want to hook up to my G540 to control the on/off of my router. I am looking at the Schematics on the Gecko Site and I cannot figure out which pins to hook this thing to. Anybody else running an SSR for the router control?

David

SSR input voltage or part number?

9) OUTPUTS: The G540 has two general purpose outputs called OUTPUT 1 and OUTPUT 2 on the MAIN TERMINAL BLOCK. They are at Pos 5 and Pos 6 respectively on the terminal block. These outputs may be used to drive relay coils or for any other purpose. The outputs are rated at 1A and 50VDC maximum. Connect one end of the load to the output and connect the other end of the load to a positive DC voltage. This voltage may be the G540 power supply or it may be a separate power supply having a different voltage.

Voltage

it is 32 vDC my power supply is 50VDC. I don't see a part number on it but it is a FOTEK relay. I think I have it, I am in pin 6 on the gecko and grounded to the main ground on the Power supply. I just gotta figure out how to make mach3 know about it. I wired into an electrical outlet so I didn't have to cut the power cable on the router.

david

Glad I read that Again

Quote Originally Posted by crash5050 View Post
    it is 32 vDC my power supply is 50VDC. I don't see a part number on it but it is a FOTEK relay. I think I have it, I am in pin 6 on the gecko and grounded to the main ground on the Power supply. I just gotta figure out how to make mach3 know about it. I wired into an electrical outlet so I didn't have to cut the power cable on the router.

david
    I was about to make a big mistake, I had the leads backwards.

This is switching the ground isnt it not the hot?

You should not use a ssr relay because if it failed it could fail on.
    It's best to use a relay type.
    In a new post in a few minutes I tell you how.
    Dan Mauch
    [email protected]
    low cost cases for the G540, stepper kits and assmebled units.

Quote Originally Posted by crash5050 View Post
    Hi folks,

I have a 25A/250 Volt SSR that I want to hook up to my G540 to control the on/off of my router. I am looking at the Schematics on the Gecko Site and I cannot figure out which pins to hook this thing to. Anybody else running an SSR for the router control?

David

Adding a relay controlled power receptacle to the G540

Relay Controlled Accessory Power Receptacle
    In the past I have seen other builders of cnc control units adding a relay controlled power receptacle on the backs of the control box. That is fine if they consider the additional current required, wire sizes to support the full load of the accessory. Many times they don't Thus the buyer is left with a situation that the relay controlled wiring can't handle the current.
    In other cases builder provide a relay inside their control box. The customer then has to run hot lead to the relay connection. I think this is unwise.
    A better solution is to simply provide a relay powered receptacle built into a nice case. The case could contain one or two receptacle and relays. The relay coils voltage should be matched to the power supply voltage. Dependimng on the current required one or two power cords would be connected to the relays and receptacles. Then one or two cables would be run to the control box. In the case of the G540 you would connect one wire to DC power ground and the other wires to terminals 5 and 6.
    Pretty simple.
    If there is enough interest I post some pictures

Dan Mauch
    [email protected]
    Camtronics, inc. -- CNC with Dan Mauch
    low cost metal and placstic cases for the G540.
    Stepper, kits and assembled units

I'm running a 2 1/4hp router and vacuum off two SSRs connected to the outputs from a G540. Power comes into this seperate pod (actually a four receptical box from HD) which also powers a PS and a cooling fan. I agree with Dan in that you should watch current draw on all circuits and not over load the one line in. My power cord does get warm but doesn't cause any issues. For what ever it worth, I don't use a control box but simply place the PS and G540 with the fan blowing in it, on a shelf under the machine.

Dean

Here is a dual relay dual receptacle unit that I built for a customer.
    The power cords are rated at 1845 watts each as well as the receptacle and relays. The single grey cable has 3 wires to connect to the G540.
    He says his shop wiring is good for 30A so he shouldn't have any problems with running his 2 hp router and 1 hp dust collector and 4 3.5A stepper motors

Dan Mauch
    [email protected]
    low cost cases for Gecko products.
    stepper and servo kits and assembled units.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pcatec642receptacle power box1.jpg