586,080 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > LNC 8 servo and LDU alarms

LNC 8 servo and LDU alarms

I bought an LNC8 lathe that had a servo drive issue. Was getting X-axis alarms when at the other shop. After moving it into my shop I am getting a LDU overload alarm #113. Are these alarms related of do I have something else going on? I cannot find where to reset and it comes on as soon as the screen loads. This is a 1994 with 5020 control.

Thanks,

Scott

I cannot find where to reset and it comes on as soon as the screen loads
    try power on with emergency stop activated.
    Is the LDU alarm of X axis also?
    What indication on drive units, power supply unit inside the control cabinet?

The alarm message is:

Alarm-A #113 LDU overload 1

When I first started-up the machine the X-axis motor was making some noise for about 15 sec. then the alarm came on. Now when I turn the power on all I get is the alarm. At the other shop I was getting an X-axis alarm it would reset and the x-axis motor would produce a high pitched whine for about 10 sec then shutdown and get a x-axis alarm. We switched the X-axis and Z-axis wires from the drive and the fault followed to the Z. I have tried pushing the E-stop and resetting but have not tried power-up with E-stop pushed.

Thanks,

Scott

Sounds like a bad drive unit. I've tried to get Okuma drives repaired, but never got one to actually work. Maybe someone else will chime in with a good alternative, since Okuma does not support those drives any longer.

Okuma Europe, Okuma Japan offers replacement drive units.
    It's a lot of possibilities to repair. Some companies in Malaysia, Philipines, USA, offer repair and do good job.
    It's not absolutely bad drive unit, maybe just circuit breaker is tripped.

I have a guy that can repair the drive, but he would like for me to do some troubleshooting while the drive is in the machine. At the other shop I was not getting the LDU overload and the troubleshooting would have been better there. I would like to clear the LDU overload to try and do a better job at troubleshooting. When I first powered the machine at my shop, the drive sent power to the servo's for a few seconds like it did at the other shop. Now all I get at power-up is the LDU overload. It seems that I need to figure out how to reset it to get some time to troubleshoot the drive.

Thanks,

Scott