586,119 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ericksonn Quick Change spindle

We recently purchased a used mill (Acer) with an Erickson quick change spindle. We are not familiar with this spindle and would like to remove the lock nut to clean up inside the taper. There are what appear to have once been button head cap screws around the outside of the lock nut. Are these what hold the lock nut to the spindle or is there something else we must do to get it off?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

twert

Yes that is correct, there should be 3 button head screws, there is only one that you need to take out, to screw the nut off it is longer than the other 2 screws
    Mactec54

Thanks for the info but it came a little too late. The guy that was working on it decided not to wait for me to get some info and took all 3 screws out and disassembled it before I could look at it. Of course all the parts came out at once with him having no idea where things go. Does it matter where the three screws go relative to the keys and what is the spring looking thing with the little pin? I assume the pin goes inside the opening in the spring thing and that acts like a tensioner of sorts. I can see where the spring goes from the witness on the ring part with the ears that engage the flange on the holders. Thanks again for any help.

twert

Here is 2 photos, but they won't help you that much

when you put the Nut back on the spindle, that is when you will find which hole to use, the screw has nothing to do with the spring & ball they are there, so it does not come undone so easy, if you use the wrench to do it up & a tap on the wrench, with a soft hammer then you can get away with not having the spring & ball, but if you forget to do the nut up tight then it will come undone & drop the tool out(nuts)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridgeport QC30-4.jpg   Bridgeport QC30 lock screw.jpg  
    Mactec54