586,119 active members*
3,538 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Vancouver Washington/Portland Oregon
Page 1 of 5 123
    Nono Guest

Vancouver Washington/Portland Oregon

I have lots of friends but none of them know anything about machines or machining. Tools? they say :withstupi

The is an old thread...are you still around?

I am also in the Vancouver, WA area. I started my project a year or more ago and got stalled out. I've recently started working on it again. My progress is documented at www.cncwright.com.

Nono Guest
    Welcome to cnczone, I watch from a distance

Hey guys I'm in the Portland Vancouver area too

Nono Guest
    welcome to the club

I also live in Portland OR but so far I've seen no one to ask about CNC.

Do any of you P-towners have a machine?

Just wondering if any of you folks in Portland have built a machine?
    I'm in Newberg and would like to take a look at anything you have...

Thanks,
    cpy911

I'm west of Portland, and I have finished a mini-mill conversion. haven't done much with it recently, but anyone wanting to come look at it and discuss, I'll let you hear everything I know about CNC, shouldn't take more than a few minutes...

Rod
    cervelorod at gmail dot com

Very new to all this CNC stuff. what's a mini -mill?
    Do we have any mentors in the area?

I live in Woodburn, about 30 miles south of Portland. I am building a CNC router. I am very much a CNC newbie even though I have been reading about it for a couple of years.

Jeff Davis from HomeCNC (one of the moderators here) lives near Portland.

Also there a few people in the Portland Model Engineers club that are active in CNC. PME also has a CNC Special Interest SIG within the club.

I currently live in SE portland OR and am also building one for my own. Mine is basically similar to Pracitical CNC or Dyna CNC type of model. It's pretty much slow to build mine though.

I currently live in SE portland OR and am also building one for my own. Mine is basically similar to Pracitical CNC or Dyna CNC type of model. It's pretty much slow to build mine though.

Cool!! I don't feel lonely anymore!

Hi All,
    West of McMinnville here. Still setting up my shop after moving so I haven't made a machine yet but I'm just about ready. I Already have bearings, rails, motors, leadscrews, drivers and port interface breakouts, and various aluminum stock. I just have to put my drill mill back together first. Hmmm, maybe I should retrofit it as a first project?

I'm a retired Senior Electronic Technologist from a research and develpoment laboratory. I'm pretty grounded in the electronics area including computers and software programming. Mechanically I do okay with my lathe, drill mill, measuring tools, books and CAD. I think I have a pretty wide knowledge base and understanding of science in general, inherited from my career and work.

I'd like to offer assistance to a CNCzone member(s) that goes beyond the questions answers development of a FAQ sheet. Well that too. I guess maybe I should ask what do you need or want to know?

moonlighttech,

Thank you for responding. I have got my router put together except for wiring the home and limit switches. I have done some jogging with it and hope to have it running shortly. Here is a link to my construction thread.
    HTML Code:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10425
    I would love to get acquainted.

Hi Alan!

I jumped to your construction thread and read your log and viewed the photo's of your journey. WOW!! If you're a newbie I'm Little Bo Peep!! All who have posted here should check it out as well to see what's possible with an idea as it grows. I really enjoyed it, I think it made my hands dirty!

I'm not actually sure what the discussion limits are on this forum and I've seen the dreaded (wrong) icon! I'll post further on your machine construction thread.
    ------

Hi Guys,

I'm west of Portland, OR.

I'm thinking about doing a CNC retrofit on an old Mill/Drill I have, so I've been just reading and learning for now.

Paralyzed by magic Smoke

Hi local PDX folks!!
    I've been lurking in the background for a while now, and just found this thread today. I live in the Tualatin area (I-5/ I-205 ) .
    I've been interested in CNC for years now and have been collecting parts and peices. I'm gonna' do a small "mill" type machine, as opposed to Router. I'm ready to bring it all together now, but don't know diddley about electronics. (Kinda' like riding a bike: you can read about it forever, but you don't know HOW 'till you actually DO it).
    I'd love to talk to some local DIY- CNC people & maybe learn something, certianly get some inspiration. ( After 20 years, I've realized that my wife is NOT a good person to bounce my ideas off of.)
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Richard.
    [email protected]

Smile

Hi Kludge and Richard. My specialty is electronics. I'll be glad to answer questions in general or specific and in depth if necessary. I try to limit my answers here to making contact but it's a public forum so I speak only for myself.

:idea:
    If you're begining to build a CNC machine may I suggest you start a new thread about your project in one of the machine building logs. It's a good way to keep track of questions, answers, your efforts and personal comments about your experience building it. You can even add photo's of your progress. Plus it will be seen by those who need the picture to avoid a thousand words, like myself! What say ye?
    -

Hi moonlighttech,

Thank you for the kind offer.

After careful evaluation of the machine and my available time, I decided to sell the old mill/drill, and it went to a good home.
    I'm now pondering the new vs retrofit-used machine question.

/Frank

Page 1 of 5 123