586,089 active members*
3,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Vancouver Washington/Portland Oregon
Page 3 of 5 12345
    I'll try to make it.

I'm down in Salem if anyone is interested in meeting up or perhaps taking on a student. There is always more to learn!

~Levi

Hillsboro CNC

Hi all. I am in the Hillsboro area (close to Aloha) and made my own CNC machine a couple of years ago. Would like to get in touch with others in the area.

Join the PME meeting

You can find people here at www.portlandmodelengineers.org
    Or join the CNC meeting at Bob Diffley's place.
    For more information, email me at [email protected]
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jmcroft View Post
    Hi all. I am in the Hillsboro area (close to Aloha) and made my own CNC machine a couple of years ago. Would like to get in touch with others in the area.
    There are several large groups of hobby machinist in your area. The portland model engineers group is probably as good of a place to start as any if you're looking to meet others with similar interests. I'm personally down in Salem if you make to down this way.

I'm in Hillsboro also. I'm just in the beginning stages of planning and trying to scavenge as many parts as I can to keep the 'boss' off my case about my hobbies. For those who haven't heard of it in the area, there is a place at Cornelius Pass and hwy 26 (in a center north of the hwy) called Surplus Gizmos (surplusgizmos.com). Great stuff there. I can see shopping there a lot during my build.

-Brian

There seems to be a lot of activity in the Portland area. I'm a retired machinist living in Vancouver, WA. Anything around me?

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    I'm down in Salem if anyone is interested in meeting up or perhaps taking on a student. There is always more to learn!

~Levi
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

~Levi
    WOW, is your name Levi too?!? I am up in the Portland area - I would love to meet up with some fellow machinists. I started my CNC ownership back in 2007, so I am still a newbie. I write my own Gcode, at least until I find a descent program (and I can't afford mastercam's hefty price tag right now)... Anyone going to WESTEC this year (March 23-25, 2010)?

Not much recent activity on this thread but I am looking for a Portland area group that shares an interest in machining. Is the Portland Model Engineers Group still active? Their website seems a bit dusty...:wave::cheers:
    I live in Tualatin and have recently completed (is it really ever completed?) a retrofit of a Tree J325 Mill, and a Hardinge HC lathe. My focus is on making motorcycle parts and I've recently finished some fork caps. It took about 8 months from cutting a hex in a block of wood to using the lathe and mill to get a complete part. I use Mach3 as the system controller and it has a thread milling program that I was able to experiment with and get great results.

Bill

I'm in Beaverton/Hillsboro area. 13+ yr machinist/programmer. I am still in the design stage of an all metal (alum. and sst) router. I have started building out of wood just for mockup, but I will wait until all CAD work is done then machine it out on the Mori's at work.

new machinist

Hey hows it going? I'm just getting started in the cnc world, but i built my own cnc router. It works pretty good, but i have a huge learning curve ahead of me. Just looking to learn and hang out with some folks with more excperience.

drmello, what area are you in?

I'm 30 minutes south of seattle. Anyone else close?

Due to health problems, I haven't been able to work in the shop for several months. I have a rebuilt CNC router that I have basically finished but haven't cut anything with since completing.

If someone in the area is interested, I would like to recover some of my cost and see it find a new home where it will be used.

It is too heavy for me to ship. You can see it here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...tml#post849599

PM me if interested.

hey guys, im down in salem, and I am very interested in building a cnc. I could get by with 2-axis (x, y), but a 3-axis would be ideal, I am busy in the mean time but, I would love to learn and eventually meet up with some people and check out their work.

-jason

Looking to move to the Gresham/Portland area. i just graduated from Lcc, got my degree in CNC manufacturing. I'm currently looking for work in that area, close to MHCC if possible, any pointers, or places to stay away from?

Quote Originally Posted by Daren-S13 View Post
    Looking to move to the Gresham/Portland area. i just graduated from Lcc, got my degree in CNC manufacturing. I'm currently looking for work in that area, close to MHCC if possible, any pointers, or places to stay away from?
    I can't recommend any place to stay away from as I've not worked at any of the local machine shops but you'll find a ton of job listings for Machinists wanted on craigslist.

yeah, I have seen and applied for a lot of jobs in the area, Craigslist has been great!

Daren-S13, Winters here are kinda rough (it can get really windy for days on end), but the Summer is worth it. Been here for over 35 years, Keep looking on the internet, (Craigslist as mentioned already) and there are jobs to be had, but there are a lot of people looking for the same thing. Manual machining with experiance in this area is a plus. Also try http://www.indeed.com/q-CNC-Machinis...egon-jobs.html

Well i got a call for an interview, went up, interviewed and got a call before i even made it back home to Springfield that i got the job! Its a place called Ascentek Engineering in Tualatin. Seems to be a good place, everyone seems nice, the pay is to be expected for an entry level job and it has decent benefits. Gotta find a place to live fast because i start monday!

Page 3 of 5 12345