586,391 active members*
3,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Taig Mill Limit Switches

Any suggestions on how and where to mount limit switches. I'm not keen about drilling holes all over my nice new mill and in any case there are few convenient locations.

I am not keen on drilling and tapping holes in my mill either. Can't see around doing it though. For a quick and temporary solution I used the small T-slot on the front of the table for the X-axis and mounted a switch at each end.

I don't think this is the best way to do it and will eventually do something more permanent (e.g.Micro-Machine-Shop )

Im probably the last person to take advice from but this is what I did. I used some aluminum 2in wide 1/4 thick flatstock i had laying around for the z upper limit and the x axis switches.

Plastic cover i heated with a hair dryer and then bent over 1-1/2 angle, then cut to fit.
    The switches are bolted to the plate the plate is Drilled to fit over the post in the center. tapped with 10/32 SOcket screws

Adjust the travel with small brass posts anchored with 4mm machine screws and nuts in the tslot.

I have to add the wire holders to make it neater and i just moved it to reset it up where im working so pardon the dust and sloppy wireing.

Mike
    the z axis was simple

Longer 10/32 screws through the block. little peice of plexi to cover the switch.

the Y axis was the fun one. 2 pieces of 1 aluminum angle. slotted on one face and the bottom for the switches had the front slot radiused to adjust the depth of the follower wheel. one for the front and one for the back. they are wired "normally open" and riding on the rail keeps them closed. when the hit the end the switch goes open sending a default signal.

Those pics are super tiny is there any chance you might be able to provide links to bigger ones?

This is something I will be looking to do on my Taig as I continue setting it up and learning it.