586,357 active members*
3,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > responsibility in case of explosion
Page 1 of 3 123

responsibility in case of explosion

Hi,lets say i want to sell my own JetEngine(not really:P )
    and some one truns it one and it explodes,can they sue me?
    after it tested it..

If someone can sue McDonald's for spilling a cup of coffee in their lap while their driving, causing burns - AND WIN..um yeah you could.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

It all depends on how you sell it..

If you sell it as used "for parts" they would have a hard time winning any suit...

If you sell it as a products.. (as in your the product manufacturer), yes they can sue you and will probably win...

I am NOT a lawyer... But I did stay at a holiday inn the other day!

Murphy

that sucks,so lets say i buy a jetcat engine and coz im too stupid to make it work it will blow up in my face i can sue them?
    \:

I don't like the way this thread is going.....

If you are negligent in any way, you will lose.

McDonalds lost because they did not properly warn the consumer that the hot beverage the customer ordered was hot.... :bs:

Liability...what a joke, huh?

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

well that doesnt sounds good,any way too bad,some day i want to make jet engines and sell them low-price but i just sounds too scary =\

Being in Isreal, you may not be exposed to the get-rich-quick, sue-all-involved crap that goes on in the USA - so you may be OK - but I don't know much about your culture or laws.

If you cover your bases and make clear statements about the dangers associated with the operation of your product, and clearly state the correct methods for installation, use and maintenence then as long as you are not grossly negligent you - - ah, heck - you would still lose your arse if you were in the States!!!!

....but maybe not in Isreal, though.

Scott

its not really better up here...
    here its get-rucher-quicker pepole that have money will sue you to get more.

well maybe i try it..
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cnc Wana bee
    Hi,lets say i want to sell my own JetEngine(not really:P )
    and some one truns it one and it explodes,can they sue me?
    after it tested it..
    Suing and wining a suite are two different things. Anyone can sue for anything they please. I can sue you for posting this question if I felt like it.

So, yes they can sue you. They could also win the suit if they were able to prove that you were at fault for the explosion.

To protect yourself, create a limited liability corporation. Check the net, there is info on how to do it. There are also people that will do it for a fee.

I created mine by myself. Cost was $200 in Texas. Drawback is having to file taxes, keep up with sales tax, etc.

I imagine it will be an internet business for hobbyists and you're not going to be selling 5,000 per year so I'd keep it small (= better profit), sell in kit form ready to be assembled, and sell them with plenty of escape clauses such as "made for static display only" "As we have no control over the ECU used to run this motor we cannot be held responsible for accidents caused by backfire, fire, turbine over speed causing failure, etc. etc. etc." The fact that you're in Israel actually helps as more than likely you'll be some distance from the majority of your customers.

By the way, I'm told that home-made light planes (not ultra-lights) can do just about anything as everything sold is labelled as "experimental"

thats a really great idea man,thanks dude i might give it a go

You could always get a liability disclaimer drafted by an attorney and attach it to your order form - have the customers sign it before the order is taken. If written properly, it would at least be ammo in court, if that ever happened.

Everyone in the States is fearful of such an occurance. Waivers aren't 100% - there's always someone out there can find a loophole. It's amazing that the people that are "dumb" enough to allow the stupid crap to happen to them (hot coffee in the lap)are smart enough to find the best attorneys, ya know?

If it's waht you want, I say go for it. Just do your best to make sure you cover your bases and do your best document the hazards and make the product as safe as possible...avoid gross negligence.

Scott

Reminds me of this joke: (condensed version)

An engineer arrives in Hell and was astounded at the conditions. So he goes to work to install A/C and elevators to make things a bit more bearable. Satan sees his work and is so impressed that he decides to give his arch rival a call to rub it in.

So he places a call to God, who is astounded that an engineer had been delivered to Hell. He instructed Satan to return the engineer to heaven at once explaining that he was not entitled to such luxury. When Satan refused, God threatened legal action.

Satan replied "Go ahead - sue me. Where are you going to get a lawyer?"

Oh, and one more thing. For those that are into risky business (I said risky not dubious) and happen to trust their wives A LOT, wifey becomes Mrs Assetts and you become Mr Risk with nothing to your name. Maybe you can't do that in Israel but you can here.

skippy what do you mean?

btw mxtras that a good one

Skippy is referring to layering your company. It was once popular for companies which produced high liability products but it is becomming less frequent from what I have seen.

One company makes the product and onother company markets it. The manufacturing company may farm out components to it's own subsidiaries and does just assembly....it can go five or more layers deep with the same owner group but it is no longer as effective as it once was. The laywers will shake out the responsible party and they will pay the consequence - no matter how many layers there are. It would be similar to driving a borrowed car that is filled with drugs or whatever - you are the one in the spotlight and you are the one responsible.

In the case of layering the marketing company would pass the buck to the supplier, the supplier would point to his supplier and so on. Everyone in the chain would see their day in court and ultimately all would pay - including the designer. It's the American way....Insurance companies and Lawyers - they run your life and your business. The accountants pick up the pieces and count them.

Layering does offer some protection against loss of assets but it is just as easy to just fold and re-start with a different company when trouble comes to your door. Many manufacturers do this to skirt warranty claims - they can offer a lifetime warranty on their product to promote sales, sell their product for 3 or 5 years, then when the claims start coming in, they close up shop, sell off to 'another' company (themselves with a different name) and turn the power back on. It happens all the time and there are, to my knowledge, no laws against it.

Just build a good quality product and do it right. Stand behind it, listen to your customers and do your best. Fix the little things before they run out of control. Most of all - enjoy it.

Scott

"Just build a good quality product and do it right. Stand behind it, listen to your customers and do your best. Fix the little things before they run out of control. Most of all - enjoy it."
    Scott, I agree with your statement and in my case I have never built anything but high quality products however there are high risk industries where high quality products can be easily destroyed through the negligence or ignorance of the customer. High performance engine parts (racing), solid fuel rockets, and turbines are just a few of them. In the case of turbines, too lower rpm with too much fuel can easily result in too higher EGTs (exhaust gas temps) = melt down or explosion, too higher rpm can result in turbine breaking into a million small metal pieces going in all directions. All of these conditions are caused by poor control by operator or ECU. See my point?
    cncwannabe: you take the risks = your business but you own nothing. your wife/brother/etc is not connected with the business and she owns all assetts. waste of time sueing someone with no money isn't it. you just gotta pray she doesn't throw you out into the street one day as it will be hard to prove you own anything other than the shirt on your back LOL

mxtras Thanks man just what i needed to hear.

p.s
    skippy and if she throws you out during sex?
    in that case you dont even have the shirt on

keep your shirt on during, just in case.

shoes, too? Just in case...

I hear ya loud and clear on the customer knowledge issue, Skippy. Hence the comments about making sure everything is documented. It's nearly impossible to get it perfect, hence the comment about staying on top of it. Most customers I have delt with are fairly cooperative as long as I make them feel like their problem has stopped the line and everybody in the plant is working on their issue. Sometimes you give a little and get a lot, sometimes you get screwed no matter what you do.

Here we have "Corporations" and such. How do individuals hide from liability overseas?

Scott

Page 1 of 3 123