586,531 active members*
2,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RFQ for metal helmet mounting bracket

Hello

as a flight helmet collector (modern and older pilot helmets) it is hard to find certain parts because manufacturing ceased. While searching the net I got into contact with cnc manufacturing parts. This is a unique and fantastic way to make parts and the possibilities seem unlimited.

Unfortunately I have no CNC training or CAD programming whatsoever so I'm looking for a way to have a certain part manufactured.
    It is a aluminium mounting bracket that attaches to a helmet. It will serve purely as a display item and is not functional.

I do have a lot of detailed high resolution pictures and a rough technical drawing. If modifications of the design are not too drastic I would be prepared to allow for some practical, time and money saving alterations.
    Could someone point me in the right direction to have this part
    (need 5 of them) designed in CAD and CNC made in gun-metal
    colored aluminium ?

I'm looking forward from hearing a good solution.
    Thanks very much and best regards.
    snaky23
    Belgium
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails !BUlJH,gBGk~$(KGrHgoOKjcEjlLmYdDjBKOP0sSYtQ~~_3.jpg   Photo 2 low.jpg   Tmount1 low.jpg   detailed MXU-810U 2.jpg  

Have a go?

Have a play at "cadding it" yourself.....easier than paper drawings.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Keith

I would suggest you post a price target, items like you want are expensive to produce in small quantities. Many a time someone thinks they can get something manufactured at a price similar to another item they have seen for sale, not realizing the other item was machined out of a casting 100,000 at a time. As an example there was a guy who thought he could get a couple custom boat props for a few hundred a piece, guys were quoting him $2,000-$5,000, the machinists wasted their time quoting and the guy got all bent thinking people were trying to rip him off.

Agreed, what is the highest price your willing to pay for this part?

Hi guys,

I want to start by saying I appreciate all the replies public and private.
    The feedback and info is priceless for this layman.

The bracket I would like to have produced is meant for display and has no load bearing function whatsoever so when there is cheaper metal than aluminum this would certainly work for me.

Maybe simplifying the design a bit would cut costs dramatically ? For example : leaving out the two cylindrical rods in the design phase and only adding them after machining by drilling holes and sliding in the rods. Also the two side arms can be machined in one plane with the central core and only bending them in the right angle after the part is machined.

Just a question... could it be the original part was casted ? Being a layman I have no clue this is a relevant question.

To (finally) answer your question a price of 150 usd per part would be acceptable for me taken into account the simplifications and maybe other (cheaper) ways of producing.
    I'm always open to suggestions and comments as this machining business is a very interesting niche (a large one) !
    greetings

I'd say it was originally a custom extrusion machined then formed and finally anodised and reamed.

Casting would only be cheaper in larger numbers.......Volume is king.

Anodising being the trickiest part!

Might be tempted to quote if Belgian chocolate was on the table
    Keith

Always nice to meet people who value the good things in life
    We can certainly discuss Belgian Chocolates as trading currency.
    What volume would you like (let me know in pm).

That's about as insulting as me telling you I want $10,000.00 a part.

Quote Originally Posted by universalfab View Post
    What is?
    Keith

The price he's willing to pay to have this part made...

I don't know, he is just uninformed. To the average guy $150 seems like a lot for what appears to be a simple part. Knowing it is a military helmet means the government probably paid more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWild View Post
    I don't know, he is just uninformed. To the average guy $150 seems like a lot for what appears to be a simple part. Knowing it is a military helmet means the government probably paid more than that.
    Ahhh the monumentally uninformed
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by universalfab View Post
    Dear Sir,

It is in the least my goal to insult anyone.
    As I'm a layman concerning this business (that is clear by now) don't expect me to have correct intuition about prices and processes.

Of course the original parts were manufactured for and ordered by the government in the 80's and 90's to be fitted on a series of interim helmets as a stopgap towards a new generation of NVG equiped flighthelmets. It is estimated that not more than 300 to 400 helmets have been in service. I assume the same amount of brackets have been manufactured.
    I realise these original parts are expensive.

That's why it is logical I'm willing to do some sacrifices.
    As slightly touched in previous posts I want to point out that I'm not after a 100% funtional and 100% identical part as on the posted pics earlier. The parts I'm looking for part suited for display purposes.

I did get a few quotes from manufacturers and I'm very please with that. I'm answering them one at the time and see where this goes.

thank you
    snaky

My guess is the Government ones cost us taxpayers a minimum of $10,000 a piece, and underwent a $1,000,000 of testing prior to being released to manufacturing.

This part is much more complex than the OP is aware of, and manufacturing a few "the right way" will be VERY expensive.

And what's this talk of Belgian chocolates? Don't you all know the Beer is worth WWAAAAAYYYYYYY more than the chocolates?! I enjoyed a bottle of Tripel Karmeliet in Brugge with a bucket of mussels about a month ago. Fantastic ; )

Since you want something nonfunctional, if you could get someone to 3d model the part for you, it might be cheaper to have someone make these on a rapid prototype machine and then just sand and paint them to color. Just another option to look at.

Since you have a sample why don't you make a silicon mold of it and resin cast it?

If you think that might be an option, go to http://www.freemansupply.com/ and check out the videos.

bob

While $150 is very low, I am pretty sure some hack on here will have a go at it for that price. Unfortunately the OP will most likely be disappointed with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Excelmachine View Post
    Since you want something nonfunctional, if you could get someone to 3d model the part for you, it might be cheaper to have someone make these on a rapid prototype machine and then just sand and paint them to color. Just another option to look at.
    +1

That was going to be my reply. Sounds like a perfect candidate for a 3D printer.

I do stuff like that often. I should be able to do something for you for near that price. Send me a PM or email me at [email protected] if you are interested.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    While $150 is very low, I am pretty sure some hack on here will have a go at it for that price. Unfortunately the OP will most likely be disappointed with the results.
    True, and normally I'd agree but I have been hacking up 3D medical industry prototypes for 10 years.
    That part would be 3 OPs as I see it. Cross drill the block, cut the "wall" side, cut the "helmet" side. It may need to be modified a bit to make it easier to machine - thicken up the wings a bit, reduce/remove a few rads - but for what it is it doesn't need to be perfect. It will look nice when it's done, I guarantee that.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.