586,110 active members*
3,141 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Dead CNC

Dead CNC

Hello,

I cannot get basic functionality out of my factory-installed CNC. I cannot get something as simple as a 1-axis jog out of it. It has always had this problem, and I need to repair it.

Whenever I power up the GeckoDrive, its fault light comes on, and it reports a fault to Mach 3. The error light comes on even if the parallel cable is removed, so I don't think the problem is in my computer set up.

Using an Ohmmeter, I confirmed that, with the front-panel switch in the up position, there is a short-circuit between pins 10 and 12 of the GeckoDrive, so the problem is not the E-Stop circuitry.

No matter what I do, the GeckoDrive sends a reset signal to Mach 3. If I click on the 'reset' button in Mach 3, the software reports that it has received a reset signal and the reset button in Mach 3 continues flashing. This happens with the Patriot's front-panel switch in the up position and in the down position.

I'm fairly certain that I have Mach 3 set up properly, but I cannot be sure because the instructions included with the machine are vague and in many places incorrect.

Can somebody give me some clues as to the cause?

Thanks,
    UglyMachine

Quote Originally Posted by UglyMachine View Post
    Hello,

I cannot get basic functionality out of my factory-installed CNC. I cannot get something as simple as a 1-axis jog out of it. It has always had this problem, and I need to repair it.

Whenever I power up the GeckoDrive, its fault light comes on, and it reports a fault to Mach 3. The error light comes on even if the parallel cable is removed, so I don't think the problem is in my computer set up.
    If you are using the new Gecko 540 drives, check the small slide switch marked " charge pump" this must be in the ON position.

Using an Ohmmeter, I confirmed that, with the front-panel switch in the up position, there is a short-circuit between pins 10 and 12 of the GeckoDrive, so the problem is not the E-Stop circuitry.
    If this is the motor engage / disengage switch, it may be upside down- in the disengage mode it will cause the fault lite to come on.

No matter what I do, the GeckoDrive sends a reset signal to Mach 3. If I click on the 'reset' button in Mach 3, the software reports that it has received a reset signal and the reset button in Mach 3 continues flashing. This happens with the Patriot's front-panel switch in the up position and in the down position.

I'm fairly certain that I have Mach 3 set up properly, but I cannot be sure because the instructions included with the machine are vague and in many places incorrect.

Thanks,
    UglyMachine
    For questions about your CNC hardware send an e-mail to [email protected]
    For software questions go to www.artofcnc.ca

Quote Originally Posted by instructor37 View Post
    If you are using the new Gecko 540 drives, check the small slide switch marked " charge pump" this must be in the ON position.
    The "charge pump" switch is set to "ON".
    If this is the motor engage / disengage switch, it may be upside down- in the disengage mode it will cause the fault lite to come on.
    The switch is fine. I temporarily removed the leads from the engage/disengage switch, to test it with an Ohmmeter. With the switch in the up position, the contacts are closed. With the switch in the down position, the contacts are open.

When everything is wired up, with the switch in the up position, I have a short circuit between pins 10 and 12 of the GeckoDrive 540. With the switch in the down position, it is not a short circuit.
    For questions about your CNC hardware send an e-mail to [email protected]
    For software questions go to www.artofcnc.ca
    I first need to determine if the problem is in the software, the hardware, or somewhere else.

The "charge pump" switch is set to "ON".

The switch is fine. I temporarily removed the leads from the engage/disengage switch, to test it with an Ohmmeter. With the switch in the up position, the contacts are closed. With the switch in the down position, the contacts are open.

When everything is wired up, with the switch in the up position, I have a short circuit between pins 10 and 12 of the GeckoDrive 540. With the switch in the down position, it is not a short circuit.
    That's normal

I first need to determine if the problem is in the software, the hardware, or somewhere else.
    Hardware wise, if you have the threading module, check the 2 plug in connections

Software wise, be sure you loaded the configuration file, and check your bios settings and ports and pins settings.

G540 manual

The G540 manual gives the info you need. It can be found here http://www.geckodrive.com/product.aspx?c=3&i=14469

Pins 10 and 12 should show continuity unless you have an E stop switch. If there is a switch, then it is supposed to be a NC switch and pressing the switch will open the circuit between 10 and 12 and causing a disable.

From the G540 manual,
    "PROBLEM: G540 UNRESPONSIVE (RED LED LIT CONSTANTLY)
    SOLUTION: This is the most common fault and can be caused by several problems. First, double check that a jumper wire or normally closed switch is present between PIN 10 and PIN 12 on the 12 POSITION TERMINAL BLOCK. Next, turn the CHARGE PUMP SWITCH to the OFF position; if the green LED comes on then there is a problem with your CNC program not putting out a charge pump signal on PIN 16. If those do not work, check the motor for holding torque; if you do not have holding torque move on to the next section.

Hello,

I'm fairly certain that I have Mach 3 set up properly.

Thanks,
    UglyMachine
    Did you ever figure out where the problem was?