586,362 active members*
3,092 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Feed Hold problem

Hello everyone , I have a strange problem on my VF2`97 , when I press feedhold when I change tools or when the riggid tapping is right before tapping the machine wont run after pressing cycle start , this isn`t normal behavior for me because I can do that on my TM-01 without any problems , after few seconds after pressing CycleStart I get Spindle orientation fault alarm , my spindle runs fine , the tool changer too , I can do rigid tapping , the one I can`t do is pressing FeedHold , why is that ?

Peter

The reason is that rigid tapping is timed to spindle rotation and Z position of the head. when you hit feed hold the spindle gets out of time with head position and cannot restart. Once your machine reads the G code for tapping you have to let it go. You can only pause it just before the tapping line that contains the code. On the more modern machines they have overcome this problem.
    We all live in Tents! Some live in content others live in discontent.

there might be a setting that isnt right because all of my 5 mills (from 93-03) wont actually let you feed hold in the middle of a tapping cycle. thus no alarm
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

sorry , I didn`t tell that I do pause while tapping ( I do not ! ) , I meant pausing right before tapping , I can do that on TM , I can not on VF , thats something wrong.

Mine doesn't alarm out in a tapping cycle, it just will not stop until the hole is tapped. Mine does alarm out if it is about to change a tool though.
    Only on the Minimill, not the VF-3,4, or 7. I figured it had something to do with the umbrella changer. If it's just a setting change to stop it from doing that I'd like to change it.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.