586,103 active members*
3,466 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Solidworks OEM w/ BobCad

Cool Solidworks OEM w/ BobCad

Howdy,
    I wondering if anyone has used or has information on the OEM Solidworks "Parts & Assemblies" software available from BobCAD-CAM? Specifically, I'm interested in building 3D parts and assemblies in the solidworks OEM software and then machining single parts from the asssembly by taking off in the CAM side of Bobcad.

It isn't very clear from BobCADs website what exactly the package does (and doesn't do) vs. a full-blown solidworks setup. I have no interest in sheet metal or some of the other features of the full package, but really want to know about what I'm getting into before I jump in.
    Thoughts? Thanks!
    Chuck

You need to call them to get the details, very few if any people here know/have the BobCAD OEM version of SW. I do know a user of the OEM version from CAMWorks. For that system, you get full part functionality, but limited numbers of parts in the assembly. For them, too, you can BUY EXTRA the 2D print/drawing package. By this I mean the ability to make "official prints" for vendors with a title block, etc. When I last checked you could NOT BUY this addiin with the BobCAD version. They have looked in to it since then (2-3 months ago) and know that the addin is a third party, so maybe they have made it available.

Your product should have all the features of SW Office, other than making the 2D prints. You won't get the fancier features of Pro or Premium (see SW charts for comparisons of what does and doesn't come in each version).

Also, make sure you ask what the support "requirements" are - do you have access to the software for only 1 year? Do you HAVE to upgrade when the next version comes out or can you keep using the older one forever? Do you get the SW updates (2010 has more than 4 so far this year, my friend has gotten NO updates from CAMWorks, even when he can show them the updates are being issued by SW).

I am VERY happy with the BobCAD plugin to SW. I use SW 2008/2009/2010 Pro, and have not had any issues this far.

Smile

mcphil,
    Thanks for the response, that was about what I thought in terms of the number of users who would have experience with the OEM product. Glad to know the BobCAM plug-in seems happy, if I did full-blown SW then I'd look at that pretty hard.

For now I will have to call them for the nitty-gritty on what exactly is included with the OEM flavor...I was hoping not to prod the Bobcad beast by phone since I know it will start a cascade of cold calls from them.

I'll post back with the information I gather. Any other input from anyone? Questions I should ask, etc., etc?
    Thanks again!
    Chuck

Bottom Line: If you can live without the standard edition's 2D prints feature and the features of the Pro edition, Bobcad has an attractive offering in the OEM package.

Plus side:
    1) after a live demo for ~30min, it seems to be (as advertised) the Standard edition minus the 2D prints. Impressive, since I last did real solid modeling on an Amiga in 1994.
    2) the price is sure attractive...OEM plus BobCAM plug-in equals integrated CAD/CAM for about the price of Solidworks Standard.
    3) I was told the first year of maintenance fees are included in the OEM price and about the same as for regular Solidworks thereafter (presumably not included in the Standard/Pro editions...Solidworks quoted me maintenance as an extra line item, making their real total somewhat higher).
    4) Bobcad was clear that the 2011 version would be a free upgrade after purchase as long as it was released by Solidworks within 12 month of purchase.

(For those totally new, maintenance fees ensure you receive bug fixes and version upgrades during the maintenance period. I would be planning to go "off maintenance" ASAP so the 1st year included is a nice addition, making sure I can go to SW 2011 is really good IMHO).

Minus:
    1) support comes from Bobcad not Solidworks. The guy who did my demo seemed pretty knowledgeable but it's a sample of 1 guy.
    2) it still isn't cheap, totaling like 8 times my Bobcad v23 investment for example.
    3) not having the 2D prints feature is pretty lame...can't I trade it for, say, sheetmetal functionality? Something I wouldn't use.

Other than that, it comes down to numbers. For now, I think I'll be putting that $4K into the hardware fund (my other hard choice is getting a Tormach mill or holding out for a Haas TM-1P or similar).

So I'm sticking with Bobcad v23 for my CADCAM...and waiting for the end of the year to see if there are any deals then on either full-on solidworks or the OEM.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_hobby View Post
    ........and waiting for the end of the year to see if there are any deals then on either full-on solidworks or the OEM.

Chuck
    My SW reseller offers legitimately better deals at the end of slow months.

Any chance you have a college student in the family?
    Educational seats are another way in.

Get to know your local reseller. Training and maintenance are somewhat negotiable.

I use Solidworks for modelling and import to BC for toolpaths for an ideal combo.

Just my opinion, BC seems to be somewhat disorganized and unable to maintain alliances with their module suppliers...this may wear thin on Dassault Systems.

Notification

Moldmkr,
    Thank you for your concern regarding our organization and relationships with 3rd party vendors. Rest assure there is no need for you to be concerned or worried. Just for the record, this forum isn't really for selling. We also refer business to SW resellers as needed. Are you familiar with the BobCAM for SolidWorks product? Do you have experience using BobCAM for SolidWorks?
    Sincerely,
    CNC Dude

Quote Originally Posted by CNCdude View Post
    ....Do you have experience using BobCAM for SolidWorks?
    Sincerely,
    CNC Dude
    Actually no. But I'm usually slow to migrate.

Could you set the record straight here and confirm whether VoluMill's High Speed Pocketing will be available with it or any other Bobcad version?

Quote Originally Posted by moldmker View Post
    My SW reseller offers legitimately better deals at the end of slow months.

Any chance you have a college student in the family?
    Educational seats are another way in.

Get to know your local reseller. Training and maintenance are somewhat negotiable.

I use Solidworks for modelling and import to BC for toolpaths for an ideal combo.

Just my opinion, BC seems to be somewhat disorganized and unable to maintain alliances with their module suppliers...this may wear thin on Dassault Systems.
    Careful with the student versions. I think they "expire" after a year, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Careful with the student versions. I think they "expire" after a year, don't they?
    Hmmm...I do not know.

I will ask my reseller when I see him.

MoldMkr,
    VoluMill is a great product. We tested it by adding it but they are just one source. We will absolutely be developing in High Speed Toolpaths in future versions and that includes BobCAM. 3rd party products elevate end user prices so as a developer you have to be tactful. We tested the waters and those of you out there that have it, I'm sure you're satisfied. As a SolidWorks user that also machines parts you should look at all your options, CAM Works, SolidCAM and BobCAM. Grab a demo of BobCAM and see what can be done. As far as the cost for what you get......I'll let you be the judge.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_hobby View Post
    Howdy,
    I wondering if anyone has used or has information on the OEM Solidworks "Parts & Assemblies" software available from BobCAD-CAM? Specifically, I'm interested in building 3D parts and assemblies in the solidworks OEM software and then machining single parts from the asssembly by taking off in the CAM side of Bobcad.

It isn't very clear from BobCADs website what exactly the package does (and doesn't do) vs. a full-blown solidworks setup. I have no interest in sheet metal or some of the other features of the full package, but really want to know about what I'm getting into before I jump in.
    Thoughts? Thanks!
    Chuck

Hello Chuck
    I have both S/W and bobcam
    Solid work is a good program a few falts are you cant back save to older version. and you must pay dues of 1300.00 per year to keep up
    You only need basic S/W then add if you wish i have been on S/W for 6 years
    all my work is in 3d and 3d cutting
    If you are only hobby you might want to check Alibre Design that i allso run
    I does same as S/W and much cheaper
    For info on bobcam pluging for soldworks i just bought it from the eastec show
    I only use it a few time because i am still faster at my Deskproto for 3d cutting at this time
    But bobcam work and runs well and it does alot in 2d and 3d
    If you going to do mostly 2d cutting check out Rams 3d
    I use Rams 3d and deskproto mostly at this time ontill i fully get a handle on bobcam.
    Any questions feel free to email me
    Ill try to help
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1960 View Post
    Hello Chuck
    I have both S/W and bobcam
    Solid work is a good program a few falts are you cant back save to older version. and you must pay dues of 1300.00 per year to keep up
    You only need basic S/W then add if you wish i have been on S/W for 6 years
    all my work is in 3d and 3d cutting
    If you are only hobby you might want to check Alibre Design that i allso run
    I does same as S/W and much cheaper
    For info on bobcam pluging for soldworks i just bought it from the eastec show
    I only use it a few time because i am still faster at my Deskproto for 3d cutting at this time
    But bobcam work and runs well and it does alot in 2d and 3d
    If you going to do mostly 2d cutting check out Rams 3d
    I use Rams 3d and deskproto mostly at this time ontill i fully get a handle on bobcam.
    Any questions feel free to email me
    Ill try to help
    Chris
    SSSHHHHH....or you'll get a notification.