586,287 active members*
3,996 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SheetCam > Possible to have more than 1 Cutting depth?

Possible to have more than 1 Cutting depth?

I have designed a couple of printed circuit boards and have run them through Sheetcam. I have set the cutting depth for the copper traces at 0.005 inches.

I also have 6 ea holes of 0.0625 (1/16) inches and 4 holes of 0.0125 (1/8) inches and also the outside edges of the circuit boards.

I was hoping for a way to mill the circuit traces at 0.005 and maybe (under another layer???) be able to cut out the perimeter of the board to a depth of about 0.020". The holes are not a problem as I can drill them, but would like to do as much as possible on the CNC. I have not downloaded the latest version of Sheetcam as I looked at some of the changes made, and this did not seem to be addressed as any update of source code.

Appreciate any enlightment.

Sheetcam is a great program. Keep up the good work Les.

Jerry

I realize that I can modify the g-code file and change the depth of cut, but it would require several hours to find the exact code and modify it.

I also realize that I could probably do what I want to do if I were to generate a 2 1/2 D circuit board, but Orcad does not allow one to set the depth of the traces, or even the depth of the circuit board used.

I am hoping there is a simple solution, as I am evaluating Sheetcam at this point in time.

Thanks,
    Jerry

do you have a drawing or anything you can post with explination, maybe someone will do it for you in g-code, also sometimes i do sperate g-codes for the operations, and run one after another.

Joe

In my setup I use different layers for like cuts and then in the process, inside, outside, or no offset, I can set the DOC for that.

For one piece I have 3 processes for a hole, roughing, finish, then final cutout which leaves tabs so the piece doesn't fly around and break my end mill.

If you have to, make each feature a different layer.

SheetCAM is VERY powerful that way.

Rod
    http://www.desmodue.com/~chadr/HFmill

Thanks to All - I figured out how to do it.

When I was changing the cutting parameters for the different layers, the software was reverting to layer 0, as I was not selecting the layer from the pull down menu in new process to select the layer.

After I noticed this, I was able to assign the different depths of cuts to the different layers in Sheetcam. Was Easy, and got the results that I wanted.

Thanks to all,
    Jerry :wee: :wee: :wee: