586,071 active members*
3,920 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tree VMC 760/20

Hi,
    Does anyone have experience with Tree CNC machining centers they'd care to share ??
    I am looking at a mid 90's Tree VMC 760/20 CNC with a PC-2100 control that has Virtual Gibbs software added.
    I was told the machine had $10K worth of maintenance repairs done to it before being taken out of service because of a shift in manufacturing direction.
    The machine is supposedly in good working condition.
    I would appreciate any info on how well these machines worked and held up,or any trouble spots to be wary of.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

What would you like to know. I have worked on and installed a lot of trees in the past. The 760 is a pretty solid little machine, not too many problems with it. That being said, it's the control thats the weak point. Make sure the way covers are in good shape, and there is no noise from the axis. Control problems can be and WILL be expensive to fix on those. It will out-cut most other low end machines in its class in heavier materials. 10K in repairs is more than the machine is worth IMO, so don't pay too much.

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Actually,the asking price is a lot less than the repairs....like $8k less.
    It almost seems like scrap price.
    The way covers look good,as does the whole machine.
    Used,but not abused I would say.
    I was told it was used mainly for machining jigs and fixtures and not high volume production.
    Unfortunately,the machine was not used for about a year and a half,and has had no power to it for about 3 months.
    So I was concerned that the control parameters or something might be lost.
    I was told the batteries are good,therefore any settings should be saved;but.....I think ought I to see/hear it under power regardless of how cheap it is.
    I understand the control issue, if that too was made in the Czech Republic like the rest of the machine.
    I see also that Tree has been replaced(?) by a newer company;so I wonder about parts/service ??