586,082 active members*
3,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > learning new tricks....

learning new tricks....

You ever feel like you crawled out from under a rock? I just felt that way, just taught myself how to high speed peel mill, that works pretty nifty. Makes me wonder what else i am missing out on, and how much i am making my job harder by not knowing these things.... I made a .63 wide slot, 1" deep, 1.25" long, thru T1 material, 1/2" depth of cut with a 1/2" carbide endmill in very short time thanks to this..... i was only peeling off .025" per pass @ 32ipm, but still, alot faster and alot less worry than just trying to plunge thru or making small step cuts. Debating on turning it up even faster, lol.....

What other tricks am I missing out on for general material removal techniques (besides drilling out relief holes, lol) ?

Tricks

watch this

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3AqIZURMbI"]YouTube- HIGH SPEED MACHINING(REALLY HIGH!!!)[/nomedia]

The good thing about the trochoidal approach is that you use the whole length of your cutter, I have a nice little program to cut slots that way...

Plunge milling can work well on big vibratey castings...improved times, cutter life and a lot nicer looking finish (still rough but a nice 'uniform' kind of 'I meant it to look like this' roughness, like a comparison plate )

DP

seen that before james, was pretty cool, wish i had that kind of feed, lol. i think the max our hurco will feed in a straight line is 400.

yeah, im thinking of going the full 1" depth instead of 1/2" just to see if it works, would cut that down to 1 minute total for that slot.

Judging from your avatar, you have evolved quite a bit if you are using machine tools! So easy a caveman could do it.

lol, machining has always been easy for me, just need to try it out for myself and learn how i did it, and its easy for me to recreate. the numbers have always been easy as well. i think thats half the reason why they hired me at sioux tools/snap on tools when i first started this career, because i was brighter than the average bulb and easy to train/sculpt.