586,071 active members*
3,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc Password

Control=Fanuc 16iM.
    Question= Is there a way to secure this control with a password so operators can not turn on option parameters?

Yes, your control has keys does it not? If so lock them and remove the keys. Problem solved. Besides if you do not want employees messing around in there and you tell them not to and they do anyway. Fire them and hire some one who respects and obeys your wishes. There are too many machinists out of work and are waiting in line to take their place. I wouldn't put up with it..........
    We all live in Tents! Some live in content others live in discontent.

A chimp can get around control keys with a paper clip. Plus, that makes it impossible for jobs to be exercised. I do not fire people for being intelligent. It takes too long to find them in a world where 99% of machinists are complete imbeciles.

I didn't realize you had that smart of chimps working there. But password protection I beleave is not in there. If they can figure out how to use a paperclip to rotate the control locks then a passwork isn't going to help either. Ok don't fire them..smack their knuckles with a ruler. The'll get the message. Can't they take instruction? I guess you are not in a place where machinists are not plentiful either. When we advertise for a machinist position we even get carpenters, painters, janitors...gotta weed'em out.

Yes password protection IS available on this control. I just do not know how to properly set it. Fanuc is notorious for locking out options with passwords. Unfortunately, it has not been locked on this machine. Our problem lies in expecting a program to run on all identical machines, only to find out options have been enabled on 1 machine and not the others. So programs written for one do not work on others. So, basically we need to "dumb down" 1 person (as pathetic as it sounds) to keep in step with the others. This person knows these machines better than anyone I have come across. G-codes, macros, you name it, he can do it. Companies go through hundreds of employees just to try and find 1 guy like this. Have you seen the operator/setup keys for these controls? LOL. They are 50 cent locks. All you need to do is open the panel and jump the wires if you can't pick a 50 cent lock. $600,000 machine with a 50 cent lock. What is wrong with that picture?
    There is not much help on this forum is there? I see alot of advertising but not much help.

The Key is called an MP...

I work part of the time in aerospace and I write these things called MP's. The operators, by companey policy, follow this Manufacturing Process Document (MP) to run the machine. For adjustments to the machine, only named people on a list are allowed to make changes and... the changes allowed are on a process document called a EP (Engineering Process Document). When a person comes to work at this company, they sign and are placed on an authorized user list for specific levels. If you deviated from the MP or an EP you are immediately fired on the spot... no if an or buts.(nuts)
    A modified version of these documents might work. It could be written document that is as simple as stating that no changes can be made to the parameters or program except by a person on the Process Change Document and is authorized to do so. The change is to be noted on a written record and signed.
    It only takes one firing to change the whole culture on the shop to follow these documents to the letter. It is a little overboard on some of our projects, I feel and have suggested that they use days off without pay as a alternate.
    However, if you put something like this in motion be prepared to back it up and, you better make sure you write them without error... because the crew loves to look for and will find any errors!!
    Steve

OK. Let me be straight and direct. I am NOT looking for a "workaround" to my question. I am looking for a direct answer. Either you know how to do what I ask, or you don't. I don't care how people "run their shop". I have a very specific goal. Either you answer the question with the direct knowledge I seek or please bother someone else. YES, there is a very good reason for doing it the way I seek. Rather than get in a long, drawn out tutorial, I just want a F'in answer. An answer that is like 1+1=2. Not like, well we use a Ti-81 calculator here and set up our calculator settings to do....blah blah blah! Who cares?!? Just answer the question...IF YOU CAN!
    THIS is the thing that I HATE about 99% of machinists. If they don't know, they pretend they have a better idea which gets you absolutely nowhere. I have 1 GOAL. There is 1 possible answer! GEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!
    Boots. You talk about following instructions and guidelines? So, Answer the question I ask, or do not answer at all.

Ok Ok, I get it now what you are asking. I guess I didn't really understand the question before. But as I see it you want to be able to "Turn on Options" that you have not paid for by hacking into the control and activating them. The answer is a big fat NO. On one control you might have to use a G84.1 to get it to solid tap but the Option might not be available on another machine that might have the same control. The key word here is Option. Not all Options are available on every control because of Ladder structure or what ever reason. But you have to pay for the Option in order to get it. Some Machine Installers (from the manufacturerer) have the ability to do this but they can only turn some of the Options on for instance.....We wanted to have 50 tools in the tool registry not just the 20 in the tool changer and we talked the Tech into doing this but he refused to turn on Helical milling so we could plunge ramp with an inserted iscar tool like we do on some of the other machines. He said we'd have to pay for that cause it is an Option. PERIOD ! So if you want ANY OPTIONS turned on please pay for them like the rest of us. This is typically what happens when you buy a machine "as is" when it comes off the assembly line. To "Get what you want" you must order it with the features/Options you need or you can "Prehaps" have them turned on later, usually durring the instalation of the machine, at a cost. SO I don't think you will find anyone here that is going to help you turning on these options that you haven't paid for. It's illegal as hell. To put it bluntly.

This a bit of a problem when it comes to moving your programs around I know.....beleave me I know. Having to keep all the programs seperated into the machines they will run on is a *****. But that's what we do. The post processor for each machine has to be modified to take into account it's features/Options. If you want the program to run on a different machine then simply repost it for that machine and the program modifications will be made for you and you won't have to do it by hand. Or in some cases you will have to reprogram the job for the different machine because the Optons are way different.
    I do hope this sheds some light on the question you have. I only try to help where I can and if I don't feel I can help I don't even attempt to anwer the question.
    I got one for you though...do you really live in Antartica or are you snowballing us?

Actually, no. The control is not locked. If it WAS locked I would be asking for the password genius. You see the difference? I WANT TO SET THE PASSWORD so no editing of options can be done. I just want to know how I can get to the password to set it. But, I see why you took this approach. You are a typical machinist who lost face and must try to twist everything around to feel good about himself. Perhaps, if you, and "people" like you, spent half as much time trying to GAIN knowledge instead of covering up the the fact that you have no knowledge you could actually be a benefit to forums such as this, instead of being a repellent for people who actually have a reason for being here.
    Step down Boots. You are useless to this topic and probably this entire forum.

Why would we want to modify the post processor? All these machines are identical. THAT IS THE POINT!! It's the editing and creating of macro B programs that needs to be stopped. Did you forget to listen while you were vomiting your opinion all over this page?

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    This a bit of a problem when it comes to moving your programs around I know.....beleave me I know. Having to keep all the programs seperated into the machines they will run on is a *****. But that's what we do. The post processor for each machine has to be modified to take into account it's features/Options. If you want the program to run on a different machine then simply repost it for that machine and the program modifications will be made for you and you won't have to do it by hand. Or in some cases you will have to reprogram the job for the different machine because the Optons are way different.
    I do hope this sheds some light on the question you have. I only try to help where I can and if I don't feel I can help I don't even attempt to anwer the question.
    I got one for you though...do you really live in Antartica or are you snowballing us?

(nuts)

1-800-FANUC-US

your option parameters are locked on this control but it sounds in your last post you want to stop from editing and creating macro B programs. that is not parameters that is getting into program memory and the only way to stop from editing programs and memory is with that $5 key your talking about.

now if there is a problem with locking memory and taking the key with you there are many choices for what that key can lock. for example you can lock out memory edits and geometry offsets but allow wear offsets to be written.

Why are you so pissed off. I see wrong answers here all the time. This is the internet ass hat. If you want the correct answer for a simple question, why did you not call the builder, or Fanuc directly. My guess is you've pissed them off so much they won't help you without a service charge now.